Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is funding available for the program?

Students in the ITLP do not qualify for Government Student Aid or University of Alberta scholarships. Students are encouraged to find alternate sources of funding. Some funding options to consider are: savings, family assistance, a student line of credit from a chartered bank, and awards offered by public or external bodies.

2. I’m an international student, where can I find out about study/work permits?
All information regarding immigration and study permits can be found here. Please visit University of Alberta International (UAI) for updated news regarding the changes made by the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta regarding international students.
The ITLP program is a special education program designed for a single* academic year of study. Upon completion, a student is not awarded a degree or parchment from the University of Alberta. The program structure does not meet the requirements for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWPP) Program.
*Some NCA Assessment Reports will assign the NCA candidate 2 years of in-person study. This still does not meet the criteria for the PGWP.
3. Can I take 1 or 2 courses while in the ITLP program?
Students enrolled in the ITLP program pay the same tuition fee regardless of course load. We currently do not offer single-course enrollment. If you are required to complete less than the five course classes and the new Legal Research and Writing (LRW) component, we suggest seeking other options to complete your NCA report.
You can find more information on programming available in Canada from the NCA website, under Assistance for NCA Students.

This also applies to the Masters of Law (LLM) program. Students enrolled in the LLM program are required to complete graduate-level courses. This excludes any core-courses from the Juris Doctor (JD) program. All of our programs are separate pathways.
4. How many courses can I take in 1 year of the ITLP?

Students can take up to 10 courses (or 35 credits) during 1 year of study in this program. In exceptional circumstances, there is the possibility where students could take more but they would need approval from the Vice Dean as well as sound reasoning for requesting more.

5. What type of degree do I receive upon completion of the program?

Student who complete the program gain access to their University of Alberta transcript.  This transcript, when submitted to the NCA, will satisfy your requirements to receive a Certificate of Qualification from the NCA.  The Certificate of Qualification allows you to begin your legal career and practice within Canada.

6. Can I still apply while in school (not having a full transcript)?
We offer a conditional acceptance for students who are in the process of completing their legal education (JD, LLB, or equivalent) within the year in which admission is sought. You can send your interim transcript when completing your application on Launchpad, alongside your active NCA file. This can be a screenshot or an email from the NCA regarding your NCA application process. Conditional offers are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If you receive a conditional offer, your admission will become official upon clearing the conditions outlined in your conditional offer letter.
7. When do applications go online?

Applications for the ITLP are live as of March 1st @ 12 PM MST in any given year.  The ITLP program sets 20 students per year.  Offers are made on a first-come-first-serve basis to fully complete applications that meet our requirements.

8. How do I meet English Language Proficiency (ELP)?
As outlined on the ITLP Admissions page, ELP is achieved by the language of delivery of your institution or by providing us with an English Language Test. In order for your test to be acknowledged, it must meet the criteria we outlined on our admissions page. If your institution teaches primarily in English, then we will require an official transcript from your institution and a letter of support from the institution as well. English high school courses must be within 10 years of the year in which admission is sought.
Some circumstances may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please email if you believe your ELP is satisfied by other means. 
A list of countries and institutions that meet our ELP requirement is available here.

The University of Alberta's ELP requirement is separate from what is outlined on the NCA Report. The ELP requirement is necessary to meet in order to attend this institution. If your NCA Assessments says ELP is not necessary, you still need to meet the University of Alberta's ELP requirement.
9. Do my transcripts need to be official?

If you are providing a transcript as proof of English Language Proficiency, then yes, we require an official copy from your intuition. This transcript must be sent directly from your institution to our institution. We will accept it electronically or physically, please visit our ITLP Admission page for information on how to submit your transcript(s). Otherwise unofficial copies of your transcript will be sufficient for our records.

We will not accept transcripts evaluated through third-party services.

10. Can I pay in installments?

The admission/tuition deposit of $5000.00 is non-refundable and must be paid in full.  The tuition deposit will roll into your tuition due come the start of the program in September.  However, if a student cannot commit to the program and already made the payment, then the tuition deposit is surrendered to the University of Alberta without an option for a refund.  Financial services can make arrangements with students once they are officially enrolled in the program to pay off the tuition cost.  Some conditions may apply.