March is Pharmacist Awareness Month. Our Alberta Pharmacy Students' Association and faculty have several activities planned to help educate people about the profession.
March is Pharmacist Awareness Month. Between our faculty events and Alberta Pharmacy Students’ Association events for students, there are a number of activities planned this month. Check back often as event times and specific locations will be updated on a regular basis.
March 1-3 is Antibiotics Awareness Week
• March 1: Taco in a bag served to students at lunch. Students are encouraged to wear their U of A pharmacy shirts to participate in the media challenge. MSB Hallway.
• March 1-3: Antibiotic Awareness Booth in collaboration with Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry students. Location TBA.
• March 4: Annual Blue and Gold Ball. The year-end formal for the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences will be kicking off PAM! Make sure to show up early for the Punch Competition. Northlands EXPO Centre. Doors open at 4 p.m.
March 6-10 is Heart Health Week
• March 6: Pharmacists Without Borders Lunch and Learn. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 8: Dean’s Grand Round Series – A weekly seminar. This seminar features Dr. Lisa Guirguis, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences speaking on Knowledge to Action: Integrated knowledge Translation into Pharmacy Practice. 12 noon – 1 p.m., Room 2-27 Medical Sciences Building.
• March 8: High-intensity interval training (HITT) class promoting cardiovascular health. 7-8 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 10: Pharmacy students are hosting a blood pressure clinic at the Mazankowski Heart Institute. 12 noon – 4 p.m.
• March 10: Lunch and learn information session about pharmacists' role in health care and debunking myths to other health care students. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
March 13-17 is Mental Wellness Week
• March 14: Positivi-Tea Event - Tea will be given out to pharmacy students. Aboard will be provided on which students could post about mental health using sticky notes. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 15: Interdisciplinary Lunch and Learn - A hospital pharmacist, physician and a nurse will go through a schizophrenia case. Students from medicine, nursing, and pharmacy are invited to the lunch and learn. 12 noon – 1 p.m.
• March 15: Dean’s Grand Round Series – A weekly seminar. This seminar features Dr. Frank Wuest, Department of Oncology speaking on Molecular Imaging: Tracers, Targets and Techniques. 12 noon – 1 p.m., Room 2-27 Medical Sciences Building.
• March 15: Yoga Class and other mental health promotion initiatives. 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. Location TBA.
March 20-24 is Health and Nutrition Week
• March 20: Hot chocolate giveaway by Pharmacy students to all faculties. Central Academic Building lobby.
• March 20: Dan Dean Financial lunch and Learn. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 22: Travel Clinic Lunch and Learn. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 24: Osteoporosis and Nutrition Clinic – at West Edmonton Mall, near the Waterpark / Segway area. 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
• March 25: Pharmacy students will cook lunch for families at Ronald McDonald House in Edmonton - 7726 107 Street - 12 noon - 1 p.m.
March 27-April 2 is Lung Health Awareness Week
• March 29: Alberta College of Pharmacists Lunch and Learn. 12 noon – 1 p.m. Location TBA.
• March 31: Lung Health and Smoking Cessation Clinic. Drop by to have your carbon monoxide levels in your lungs tested. 12 noon - 4 p.m. Location - Royal Alexandra Hospital - Main Atrium - 10240 Kingsway Avenue.
• April 1: PAM 2017 Wrap Up Event, 7 p.m. at Devaney’s Pub, 11113-87 Avenue.
• April 2: Pharmacy Alumni vs Pharmacy Students Hockey Game at Clare Drake Arena, North Campus. Family Skate - 3-4:15 p.m., Hockey Game: 4:30 - 6 p.m.