International Placements

Completing a clinical placement abroad can provide students with diversity in their learning by combining global education, cultural diversity and acquisition of clinical skills.

Limited opportunities are available for students with a strong academic and clinical history to participate in clinical placements outside of Canada. Many students find these international placements to be an enriching and life-changing experience, both on a professional and personal level.

When can I study abroad?

  • PT students can complete their PTHER 522 6-week clinical placement in an international setting.
  • OT students can complete their OCCTH 527 and/or OCCTH 528 Level 3 placements in an international setting.
  • SLP students can complete any of their advanced clinical placements in an international setting.

How do I start?

  1. It is important that you attend the international placement meeting put on by your department; this will provide essential information about obtaining and organizing an international placement.
  2. Determine what type of experience you're looking to get out of a clinical placement abroad. Click here for a list of pre-approved facilities in various countries. Placements in the United States: Due to immigration regulations imposed by the United States, non U.S. citizens will NOT be permitted to do a placement in the U.S.
  3. Complete this Checklist for Students Requesting an International Placement in its entirety and then make an appointment to see your Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education (ACCE). Find out who your ACCE is here.
  4. You will be responsible for writing a letter of introduction to the international facility. Either you or your ACCE will contact the facility to determine if they are accepting international students. Confirm how your department manages international placements before making any contacts with sites or educators.
  5. The Clinical Education Assistant will begin the 'Contract' process and will let you know when it's been completed. Do not book a flight until the clinical placement has been confirmed by your ACCE.
  6. If your request to study internationally is accepted, prepare by reading this EAP-Handbook. The University of Alberta also offers pre-departure information sessions that you may find very helpful.
Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement