HR benefits, services and support available to employees

31 March 2022

While several HR and finance services related to operations have shifted from faculties and units to Shared Services, you may also be wondering how to complete HR and finance activities related to your employment with the U of A. This could include:

  • questions about your pay,
  • benefits and pension,
  • updating your personal information or submitting a legal name change,
  • managing life event changes such as maternity leave or retirement,
  • taking additional tax off,
  • requesting an employment verification letter, or
  • adding/removing a dependent.

Dozens of self-service actions are available to you 24/7, allowing you to problem solve immediately, and providing you with the fastest way to obtain answers and results. You have full control over the outcomes, like accuracy and completeness of forms and personal information.

Benefits and info you can take advantage of

Here are some current sections of our website you may wish to familiarize yourself with. Over the next several months, Shared Services will be reviewing these activities to ensure the information is up to date, easy to understand and follows a more simple step-by-step approach.

Life event changes: How do I…?

Access benefits: How do I…?

Get started at the university: How do I…?

Update personal information: How do I…?

Complete immigration activities: How do I…?

Request a reference letter for permanent residence or update my work permit

Post-employment: How do I…?

How do I find what I'm looking for?

Our helpful web content and integrated technology allows you to access what you need when you need it.

  1. To get started, use the U of A search tool to find what you're looking for.
  2. Filter search results to view web pages that are about Services.
  3. Review the information on the web page and follow the instructions.
  4. If necessary, submit forms to the Staff Service Centre or the centre of expertise identified on the page.

Seeking support

If you've reviewed the information on our web pages and still need help, support is available to you. If you are unsure of where to direct your question, call (780-492-8000) or submit a ticket to the Staff Service Centre, where Shared Service Advisors can either provide you with the answer or connect you to the right person.