- You must be in grade 10, 11 or 12 at the time of application.
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must have a reference from any of your teachers on school letterhead.
- To be eligible for a 2018 internship, all application documents must be received by April 6, 2018.
- You may apply again, even if you have previously participated in the HIP program.
- The HIP program for 2018 will run from July 3 through August 10. You must be able to work weekdays for the entirety of the 6 weeks indicated.
How to Apply
To apply for the High School Internship Program, you will need to submit an online application and send supporting documents via email. The deadline for 2018 internships is Friday, April 6, 2018.
Applications are no longer being accepted for 2018. Thank you and good luck to all that have applied!
Supporting application documents
The following supporting application documents must be in PDF format and named accordingly:
- LastName-FirstName_nomination.pdf: A nomination letter from your teacher (on the official school letterhead) on why you would be a good candidate for this program
- LastName-FirstName_intent.pdf: A letter of intent (experience, interests and why you would like to take part in HIP)
- LastName-FirstName_resume.pdf: Your current resume
Please send your documents to email@example.com with the subject line "HIP application documents 2018."
If you are unable to send these documents electronically, you may send them by regular mail to:
Department of Computing Science
Attention: HIP Applications
2-21 Athabasca Hall
University of Alberta
Documents sent by regular mail must still be received by the deadline.
- Be professional - proof read your application, follow the instructions and submit your application on time.
- Students with the most experience or highest marks are not always chosen. Supervisors also look for students that have matching interests, a curiosity about the field and that are self-motivated.
- Your nomination letter does not have to come from a computing, math or science teacher. Choose a teacher that can best speak to your abilities and potential.
Supervisors will begin reviewing applications on April 9, 2018. You will be notified by email by May 11, 2018 regarding the status of your application to the Computing Science High School Internship Program.