CITES and Export Permits

CITES Permits - Temporary and Permanent

Endangered species entering or leaving Alberta may require a CITES permit as governed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), of which Canada is a signatory.

Museums and Collections Services (MACS) holds the CITES Scientific Certificate on behalf of the University of Alberta (UAlberta) and therefore manages all UAlberta CITES permit requests. If you require an incoming or outgoing CITES permit, contact MACS.

Canadian Cultural Property Export Permits - Temporary and Permanent

Museum objects may require cultural property export permits prior to leaving Canada if they are listed as controlled cultural property on the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List.

MACS manages the application process for temporary and permanent export permits on behalf of all UAlberta Museums collections. If you require a temporary or permanent cultural property export permit, contact MACS.