Students may undertake graduate study leading to the degree of MSc or PhD. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's admission requirements, regulations, and procedures. You can find this information in the University of Alberta Calendar - Graduate Programs, Graduate Programs.
Please also see the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's Admission Requirements
Language Requirements (Note: English language scores that are more than two years old are not accepted)
Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for graduate admission at the University of Alberta. It is not necessary to provide a English language proficiency score if your academic institution listed you as 'Exempted from' when your received your undergraduate degree.
If you are not exempt you must demonstrate your English language proficiency by meeting the specific score listed on the five approved English language examinations listed below.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research recognizes the following five English language examinations:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); the minimum acceptable score is 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or a total score of 88 with a score of at least 20 on each of the individual skill areas (Internet-based).
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB); the minimum acceptable score of 85
- The International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS); a minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least 5 on each test band
- The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment with an overall minimum score of 60 with at least 60 on each subtest.
- PTE (Academic): Overall minimum score of 59
Alternate Option for Meeting the English Language Requirement - EAP 550
Graduate Institution Report of Scores (GRE) are not required.
Area of Specializations