In September 1908, the University of Alberta welcomed its first class of 37 students. The Faculty of Arts and Science was the first faculty named by the Senate, and while some sources state the U of A started with five professors, others state there were four professors. This discrepancy is likely due to the fact that in addition to Henry Marshall Tory’s role as president, he also taught mathematics and physics. It was not until 1963 that the two faculties split and the Faculty of Science became its own unit.
Today, the Faculty has seven departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computing Science, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Physics, and Psychology.
Mark Dale - Acting Dean (1997)
Richard Peter - Dean (1992-2002)
Robert J. Crawford - Dean (1991-92)
Ronald Bercov - Acting Dean (1986-87)
W. John McDonald - Dean (1981-91)
Kenneth B. Newbound - Dean (1976-81)
Donald M. Ross - Dean (1964-76)
Herbert S. Armstrong - Dean (1962-63)