CHEM 300: Introduction to Industrial Chemistry is a credit/no-credit course that introduces students to the practices, environment, concepts, and other issues associated with the industrial workplace. The course includes lectures by professionals from the local chemical industry, industrial tours, and professional skills development such as resume writing and interviewing. It is normally taken after completion of a minimum of 60 but not more than 90 units of course weight in a program in the Department of Chemistry. The course is offered for Chemistry Honors and Specialization students, and for General Science students with consent of the department.
Course coordinator: Professor Michael Serpe
News and Updates
Fall 2018 (current)
- Sept. 10: First Class C W4-44.
- Sept. 17: Dr. Andrews Ahiabu, PerkinElmer Inc., 4-5:20 in C W4-44.
- Sept. 24: CaPS Resume Workshop, 4:00-5:00 pm, 1-031 CCIS Career Centre.
- Sept. 26: Attend Careers Day, Butterdome, 10 AM – 4 PM.
- Oct 1: Jerry Hanna, Clearflow Inc., 4-5:20 in C E3-25
- Oct. 8: Thanksgiving. No class.
- Oct. 15: Jerry Hanna, Clearflow Inc., 4-5:20 in C E3-25
- Oct. 17: Interview workshop, 12:05 - 12:50 pm, 1-031 CCIS Career Centre.
- Oct. 22: Dr. Lindsay J. Hounjet, CanmetENERGY, 4-5:20 in C E3-25
- Oct. 29: Dr. Matthew Carter, Dow Chemical, 4-5:20 in E3-25
- Nov. 5: Syncrude Tour, 2:00-6:00 pm
- Nov. 12: Fall Break. No class.
- Nov. 19: Gilead Lecture, 4-5:20 in C E3-25
- Nov. 26: Gilead Pharmaceuticals Tour, 2:00-6:00 pm
- Dec. 3: CHEM 300 Mock Interviews
- Dec. 5: Mock interviews with representatives from Gilead Pharmaceuticals, Paracel Laboratories, Wilson Analytical, HJC Consulting, and Stream Technologies.
- Nov. 28: Professional development seminar: Kim Kenny (Forensic Specialist, Trace Evidence Services, National Forensic Laboratory - Edmonton).
- Nov. 21: Professional development seminar: Deepika Parasuraman and Devin Sears (Gilead Alberta).
- Nov. 14: Gilead Pharmaceuticals tour, 2-6 p.m.
- Nov 7-11: Fall Reading Week (no classes).
- Oct 31: Professional development seminar: Conrad Siegers (Technology Management Officer - Health Sciences TEC Edmonton) and Lauren Mercier (Business Development Specialist - Mitacs and TEC Edmonton).
- Oct. 24: Tentative interview workshop.
- Oct. 17: Syncrude tour and pizza discussion, 2-6 p.m.
- Oct. 10: Thanksgiving (no classes).
- Oct 3: Professional development seminar: Jerry Hanna (Clearflow Group).
- Sept. 28: Science Internship Program information session. CCIS 1-430, 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- Sept. 28: Careers Day. Butterdomw, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Sept. 26: No class (attend events on Sept. 28).
- Sept. 19: CaPS resume workshop. CCIS Career Centre (CCIS 1-031), 4-5 p.m.
- Sept. 12: First class, Chemistry W4-44.
Dec. 7: Mock Interviews with Gilead Sciences, Maxxam Analytics, Paracel Laboratories. Employers willing to conduct practice interviews of 2-3 CHEM 300 students are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nov. 30: Devin Sears and colleagues from Gilead Sciences will present Pharmaceutical Chemistry: An Introduction, 4:00-4:50 pm in CCIS room 1-140.
- Nov. 16 & 23: Science Internship Presentations, 4:00-4:50 in Chemistry room W4-44.
- Nov. 5: Undergraduate Research Initiative (URI) Workshop on How to Get Involved with Undergraduate Research, 12:35-1:20, SUB 2-100.
- Nov. 4: Phil Heaton of Maxxam Analytics presents Analytical Method Development - Meeting Industry Needs, 11:00-11:50 in Chemistry room E3-25.
- Nov. 2: Tour of Gilead Sciences’ process development labs, analytical labs, and production facilities.
- Oct. 26: Career and Placement Services (CaPS) LinkedIN workshop, 4:00-4:50 pm in W1-50.
- Oct. 19: Career and Placement Services (CaPS) resume workshop , 4:00-4:50 pm in CCIS Career Center (CCIS 1-031).
- Oct. 5: Dr. Brenna Brown and Ms. Stephanie Hoeppner of Paracel Laboratories and Life Science Forensics will present a seminar at 4:00-4:50 in Chemistry room E3-25.
- Sept. 28: Tour of Syncrude Research Facilities in south Edmonton, 2:00-6:00 pm. A few additional spots are available on the tour. Contact email@example.com.
- Sept. 24: Ms. Amy Reckling, Chemical Institute of Canada (Ottawa), will present a "Q&A Session about the Chemical Institute of Canada", 12:30-1:50 pm in E3-25. Pizza provided.
- Sept. 23: CaPS Career Day, 10 am - 4 pm, Wednesday September 23, Butterdome
Sept. 23: Ms. Janelle Smiley-Wiens (BSc Chem, UAlberta) of NOVA Chemicals in Calgary will present "From Academia to Industry: My Journal from the UofA to NOVA Chemicals", 11:00-11:50 am, in room E3-25
- Dec. 1: Mock Interviews with Dow Chemicals, Wilson Analytical, Gilead Pharmaceuticals (analytical and process chemistry), and Guardian Chemicals. Check the schedule for your 30 minute interview, followed by 10 minutes of feedback on how you did.
- Nov. 26. Optional CAPS Interview workshop, Chemistry room E3-25, 5:00 pm
- Nov. 24, Science Internship presentations from the RCMP Forensics Laboratory and Canmet Energy Devon.
- Nov. 17, Science Internship presentations from Guardian Chemicals and the Prairie Northern Laboration for Environmental Testing of Environment Canada
- Nov. 12-14, (optional alternate activity), attend a half-day of the Industrial Chemistry Conference, Double Tree Edmonton West.
- Nov. 10. Remember to do your Informational Interview with one of the suggested industrial chemists.
Nov. 3, tour of Gilead Pharmaceuticals’ process development labs, analytical labs, and production facilities.
Oct. 27, Dr. Patricia MacLeod and Ms. Joy Yu of Gilead Pharmaceuticals seminar entitled “Pharmaceutical Chemistry: An Introduction”, Chemistry room E3-25, 4:00-5:00 pm
Oct. 20, CAPS Resume workshop, CCIS Career Centre, 1-031 CCIS, 4:00-5:00 pm.
- Oct. 6, Taylor Hayward of Dow Chemicals will present "Dow Chemical Center of Expertise – Current Research in Chromatography and Career Development"S, 4:00 pm in E3-25
- Sept. 30, tour of AlleyKat Brewery with the local Chemical Institute of Canada chapter, $15 (includes tasting), 6 pm start. Contact GelminiL@macewan.ca to RSVP.
- Sept. 29, 4:00-4:50 in CCIS 1-160. Elizabeth Wallace of Cameron Library will provide training on Literature Search Skills.
- Sept. 24, CAPS Career Day, 10am-4pm, Butterdome
- Sept. 22, tour of Syncrude Research facilities in south Edmonton. Tour full.
- Sept. 15, Jason Westgeest and Jenny Shim of Guardian Chemicals of Fort Saskatchewan will present "Formulations Chemistry: The Art and Science of Mixtures"
- Aug. 1: Planning begins for new semester of information on industrial careers in chemistry. Contact Chuck Lucy if you are interested in getting involved!