Work, Study or Volunteer Abroad

Go Abroad


COVID 19 has severely limited abroad experiences. Visit our COVID 19 Interim Measures page to learn more about virtual study, work or volunteer abroad programs and alternate intercultural experience options.

You may satisfy the intercultural experience requirement by studying, working or volunteering abroad for 6 or more weeks.

Where can I go?

Anywhere! UAlberta International and various faculties on campus offer a variety of programs. Check them out!

Does it have to be a UAlberta program?

No. International experiences organized by other institutions or organizations may count toward the CIL. International work or volunteer placements that are secured independently will also count, but independent travel will not.

I completed a study abroad that is less than 6 weeks long. Can I count it?

Yes, you may combine two abroad experiences to reach the six-week threshold.

I travelled abroad during high school. Can that count?

No, your time abroad must be part of your university career. Experiences that immediately precede your enrollment at UAlberta or that interrupt your university study will be considered.

I'm an international student. Does studying at UAlberta count as my study abroad?

Yes, international students who are pursuing a degree at UAlberta can satisfy the intercultural experience requirement by claiming their study in Canada.

How do I ensure my abroad experience is recognized by the CIL?

It's best to consult with a CIL advisor before departing to ensure that your experience will count.

Once you have completed your experience abroad, you will need to make a claim in the CIL Online Portal. International students can make a claim after they have studied in Canada for more than 6 weeks. For more information on making claims, visit our Resources page.