CHEM 299

CHEM 299: Research Opportunity Program in Chemistry is a credit/no-credit course (worth 1.5 credits) for supervised participation in a faculty research project.

Students normally take this course after having completed 30 credits but not more than 60 in a program in the Faculty of Science. GPA of 2.5 or higher, completion of CHEM 101 or 161 or SCI 100, and consent of the department is required.

Course Requirements

Students must:

  1. Complete the Safety Training (Fire/Safety/WHMIS) course given by the Department of Chemistry. This course is usually given at the beginning of each term.
  2. Be willing to commit 3 to 4 hours per week to the program.
  3. Attend any demonstrations, seminars, or other meetings required by their supervisor. Students may also be asked to read pertinent background material for lab discussions and/or seminars.
  4. Meet at least monthly with their supervisor.
  5. Attend group discussions with the ROP advisors and ROP students.
  6. Present a short research talk in December and in March or April.

Upon completion of the fall semester, the student's supervisor will complete a written assessment of the student's performance. The supervisor and ROP coordinators will also make a recommendation of credit or no-credit when the assessment is submitted and research talks are completed.

How to Apply

Before you begin

  • Review the course requirements above.
  • Explore the CHEM 299 project postings (sign in with your Apps@UAlberta account to view--Projects are still being updated--please keep checking)

Get started

  • Submit your online application (sign in with your Apps@UAlberta account to access the form).
  • You will be required to authenticate using your CCID if you are not logged into your Apps@UAlberta account.
  • Applications Open on March 18.  DEADLINE to apply is April 12.


Can it be taken more than once?
Yes, it can be taken twice. A student may wish to apply for two different projects, in two different terms. It may also be possible to continue working in a faculty member’s lab on the same project for an additional term, subject to the recommendation of the sponsoring faculty member. This would necessitate registering in a second CHEM 299.

Does CHEM 299 count for degree credit?
Normally, a single term of CHEM 299 (1.5 units of course weight) would count extra to a student’s degree. If taken twice (for a total of 3.0 units of course weight) it could be used toward a Chemistry major or minor. It could also be used as an option in Honors or Specialization programs in the Department of Chemistry.

Can I apply for more than one project?
Yes. In fact, you will have to indicate your top 5 choices of faculty member with whom you'd like to work. Assignments will be made based on trying to find a match between your choices and the faculty's choices of whom they'd like to have in their lab.

How can I increase my chances of getting a CHEM 299 research position?
Ensure that your application is complete. Carefully fill out your application ensuring that all information is accurate. Attach a complete resumé.

Can I have a supervisor who is not in Chemistry?
Only if that person has an adjunct appointment in Chemistry. All Chemistry 299 projects must be offered by faculty members in the Department of Chemistry. As well, there may not be co-supervisors in other departments.