Is the MSc program available part-time, online, or in the evenings?

No, the program is only available on a full-time basis (minimum of 3 courses per term). Courses are presented in a traditional, classroom format during the day (with possible exceptions). A reduced course load option may be allowed under exceptional circumstances, but cannot be guaranteed.

Can I start in the Winter term?

No, there is only one intake per year, for the Fall term. The application period runs from November 1st to March 15th.

How long will I have to complete the MSc program?

You must complete the course requirements within three years of your admission term.

How many reference letters do I require?

Two are required. You may have two academic references, or one academic and one professional reference. In certain circumstances, where you do not have recent academic work, we will accept two professional references. In your application, you will provide us with the referee's email address. Once the application is submitted, the referee will receive an email directing them to either upload a letter, or to complete an online form. Letters must be on letterhead and signed with a physical signature.

Do I need to find a supervisor before I apply?

No, you will find your supervisor when you are ready to work on the MRP (Major Research Paper).

How do I apply?

Go to the GPS (formerly FGSR) website. Then click on the Apply Now button, it will take you to the application portal, where you will need to select Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (search by department) and use "To begin or continue an application, click here." Now you will be able to create your account and select the department and program to apply.

What if I don't have a diploma/degree certificate or final transcript at the time of application or by September?

A conditional admission can be made. The final transcript will be due by December 31 of the year admission is sought.

Do you accept applications after the application deadline?

Possibly. We may continue to accept applications if the program is not full, however, this will change from year to year. First consideration for scholarships and awards is given to those who apply on or before deadline.

When do I hear about my acceptance?

Decisions are made on a rolling basis, but cannot be made until your application is complete. Continue to check the application portal for a decision on your application. Note that the majority of admission offers are made after the application deadline.

Is the program accredited by CIP/APPI?


How do you calculate my GPA?

Generally, the most recent 60 graded credits are considered for calculating your GPA. Non-credit or continuing education courses taken simultaneously with an undergrad degree cannot be counted. International credits are slightly more complicated and may not adhere to the 60 credit rule.

I have taken more courses beyond the undergraduate degree? Are these extra courses included in the GPA calculation?

If the courses were from an accredited post-secondary institution and are considered university-level courses, then yes, they would be included in the GPA calculation. However, if the courses were continuing education, from a non-accredited institution, or non-credit courses, they would not be included.

Can I take courses in an international university and get the credits transferred?

Yes, if the university is accredited and the course is applicable to your degree.

If I don't know how to use the software programs, will I get training on them?

You are not required to be adept in using a specific software package, but it is good to have a working knowledge of MSOffice, SketchUp, ArcGIS and Adobe packages.