Student Connect

Important Notices
Updated: December 9, 2020

Documentation/Final Marks

The University of Alberta will accept final grades from the school year as presented on the Alberta Education transcript, regardless of whether or not students have written their diploma exams. We will also accept the final grades presented on all transcripts issued by recognized jurisdictions, understanding that adjustments have and are being made in many regions in response to the pandemic.

English Language Proficiency (ELP)

International applicants who are required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency and had intended to fulfill that requirement using English Language Arts 30-1 will only be able to do so if they write the diploma exam. If students don’t write the diploma exam, they will be required to demonstrate ELP with acceptable scores in an English language proficiency test. Additional details related to language requirements are available here.

What We Do

Student Connect is the Office of the Registrar's student service centre, and provides one point of contact for students seeking information and services. The Student Connect student services team provides assistance in the areas of:

  • Transcripts, document requests, and changes to personal information (see Records).
  • Registering in courses and managing your enrollment (see Registration and Courses).
  • Information, advising, and other support.
  • Financial support including scholarships, awards, bursaries, and emergency funding (see Financial Support).
  • Preparing for graduation and convocation (see Convocation).
  • Prospective high school students and events (See Recruitment Events

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Student Connect is open and working remotely during our business hours. Here’s how you can access our services. In-person services are unavailable until further notice.

Please note that we are closed for all Canadian public holidays and other university closures. Please see the Major Dates and Deadlines page in the Calendar for a full listing.

Click on an icon below to find out more about each service option:

Our virtual assistant, Vera, is available 24-7 by clicking on the message bubble on the bottom right corner of any Office of the Registrar webpage. During our office hours, advisors are also available to live chat. If an advisor is available, the button "Chat with an Advisor" will appear. If additional time is needed, our advisors may be able to book a live advising session with you!
We are answering emails submitted through our contact form in the order they are received. We are experiencing very high volumes right now and we appreciate your patience. Please do not submit duplicate requests or inquiries.
Reach out to us through our other service channels for live advising options. Prospective high school students can book a virtual advising session with our Recruitment Team at
We are taking phone calls from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. at 780-492-3113 or 1-855-492-3113 (toll-free).
If you have a form that requires a section to be completed by an Office of the Registrar advisor, please visit the Form Submission page and submit a scanned copy of your form! Examples of forms include:
  • Government student loan interest-free status forms or other non-RESP forms
  • Student loan application/registration confirmation forms
  • CPP forms
  • Other verification of enrollment or scholarship application forms

Looking for a form issued by the Office of the Registrar? Visit Office of the Registrar Forms to get started.