Frequently Asked Questions

Browse the topics below to find what you're looking for. If we can't answer your question here, please contact us and we'll be happy to help!

Last updated: July 22, 2021

Important Notices
Application Processing Times

We will be receiving final high school transcripts from Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan between now and the next few weeks. Once we have received them, it can take several weeks for an advisor to review the document and update your application. You will receive an email and your Launchpad status page will be updated when this is complete. If we require any further information or documents, we will contact you directly. Thank you for your patience while we are working with a high volume of applications. No additional application status details are available via phone/email.


My Alberta Education High School transcripts say that they have been sent on ApplyAlberta, when will I receive a decision?
We are expecting to receive the vast majority of Alberta Education transcripts starting July 16. Once the transcripts have been received, they will take some time to be inputted into the University of Alberta system, and an evaluation to be complete. We appreciate your patience during this busy period as we hope to release an admission decision to you within a reasonable amount of time.
How do I Apply for the Professional Degree Programs?
Applications for the professional programs for 2022/2023 in the faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, and Law are now open! You can start your applications here.
Do I need to write Diploma Exams to be eligible for admission?

Documentation/Final Marks

The University of Alberta will accept final grades from the school year as presented on the Alberta Education transcript, regardless of whether or not students have written their diploma exams. We will also accept the final grades presented on all transcripts issued by recognized jurisdictions, understanding that adjustments have and are being made in many regions in response to the pandemic.

English Language Proficiency (ELP)

International applicants who are required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency and had intended to fulfill that requirement using English Language Arts 30-1 will only be able to do so if they write the diploma exam. If students don’t write the diploma exam, they will be required to demonstrate ELP with acceptable scores in an English language proficiency test. Additional details related to language requirements are available here.

I am a High School student, my application was denied, what do I do now?

Even though you have not received an offer of admission at this time, your application is not closed, it is still active and open for future re-evaluation.

If you are not admissible after you submit your updated courses and marks, we will re-evaluate your application once again at the end of Grade 12, when we receive your final and official transcripts.

How can I reset my Launchpad PIN? 

If you have not received your temporary PIN or want to get your PIN reset, please send us an email request from your personal email on file or UAlberta email address. We will resend the PIN to you. 

If you have forgotten your Launchpad password, you can reset it by clicking on the “Reset Password” button on the UAlberta Launchpad login page.
How can I accept my offer and pay the tuition deposit?

You can accept your admission offer in your UAlberta Launchpad portal. Once you log in to your status page, click on “Reply to Offer of Admission”, then then select "I ACCEPT my offer of admission to the University of Alberta" and click submit. 

If you are a new applicant to the university, you may also need to pay a non-refundable tuition deposit as part of the offer acceptance process. In order to make a payment through Launchpad, go back to your status page and click on "Submit Payment". For more payment options, please take a look at the Tuition Deposit Payment page.


You must accept your offer and pay the tuition deposit by the deadline, which will be indicated in Launchpad, under "Reply to Offer of Admission". Otherwise, your offer may be revoked.

Please note that even after you have accepted your offer, you will still be required to meet any conditions stated in your offer letter. Otherwise, your offer may be revoked. For more information, see your offer letter, which you can view in  your Launchpad status page by clicking on "View Update".

What is the deadline to accept my admission offer?

When your admission offer is available, you will be notified to go to UAlberta Launchpad to accept your offer. For most students new to the University of Alberta, a non-refundable tuition deposit is required in order to accept your offer of admission and confirm a spot in your program. You can check the deadline to accept the offer here.

What are the payment options for tuition deposit?

You may be able to pay for your tuition deposit via your Launchpad portal using a credit card, RBC Interac debit, or certain Credit Union cards.

If you don't have an eligible card, then you can make the payment through your online banking following these steps:

  • Access your bank website and sign in.
  • Add ‘University of Alberta' as a payee on your bill payment profile
  • Use your SEVEN DIGIT STUDENT ID NUMBER, then the FIRST FOUR LETTERS OF YOUR LAST NAME as your account number. If your last name has less than four letters, please use your first name to complete the four letter, for example: John Xu = 1234567XUJO
  • Enter the amount to be paid and the date on which you would like to pay.
  • Complete the transaction as if you were paying a utility bill.
Please note that it can take up to 14 business days for the payment to be reflected on both BearTracks and the Launchpad portal.
How do I reset my CCID? 

If you need to reset your CCID password, please visit the Information Services and Technology website. You must first enrol in the Self Service Password Reset function to add an alternate email/phone number, after which you will be able to reset your password using the Reset Your Password option.



Where do I check my application status? When will I receive a decision?

Once you have submitted your application and all required documents, an admissions advisor has to review your documents and process your application which can take 1-8 weeks. You will receive an email and your Launchpad status page will be updated when this is complete. If we require any further information or documents, we will contact you directly. Thank you for your patience while we are working with a high volume of applications.

Please note that we are unable to give you an application evaluation update or a specific timeline by email, live chat, and phones. Admissions offers are released on a rolling basis, as evaluations are completed.

Do I need to submit my final and official documents through mail?
We currently are still receiving and processing documents received by mail, but your institution can also send transcripts to us at We are only accepting documents submitted by an institution in that account so if you have other documents to provide us for your application, please upload them through Launchpad.

Fall 2021

What will the Fall 2021 semester look like?

The U of A is currently looking at all options to maximize in-person student learning in Fall 2021 and Winter 2022. In the autumn, we expect to continue with a combination of in-person and remote course delivery, but with significantly increased in-person and blended learning that maximize our spaces on campus.

U of A’s Fall 2021 in-person schedule is available now on Bear Tracks by April 26, 2021.

The most up to date information about the Fall 2021 semester can be found here.
When can I register for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022?

Registration for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 is now open for all students.  If you are new to the University of Alberta, you will first need to accept your offer and pay your tuition deposit before gaining access to register.

The most up to date information about the Fall 2021 semester can be found here.
Can I get assistance with registering for courses?

There are resources on course registration processes and tips here

  • Learn how to navigate the Bear Tracks system for course selection and registration.
  • Chat with an advisor and get advice on which courses to take.
  • Explore the next steps on your journey at the U of A.

Student Financial Support (loans, bursaries, awards)

I am a current University of Alberta student, where can I find information on how to apply for Continuing awards?

If you are an undergraduate student who is either continuing their studies in an undergraduate or professional program in the next Fall semester or is graduating at the end of the Winter semester, you are eligible to apply to undergraduate scholarships. There is a single application form that you need to fill out, and you will be considered for all of the following awards, depending on your eligibility:

  • Undergraduate Academic Scholarship
  • Undergraduate Leadership Scholarship
  • Faculty-awarded scholarships
  • Government of Alberta funded scholarships (including Jason Lang, Louise McKinney, Laurence Decore, Gary McPherson)

You can apply online through Bear Tracks by clicking on "Awards & Financial Support" and then on "Apply for Awards". This will open a new tab in your browser, where you can use your CCID and password to login.

Applications are open January 15 to April 1 of each year and applicants will be notified at the end of July. In order to receive the full value of any scholarship in this competition, you must be enrolled full time in both the upcoming fall  and winter terms.

For more information about the eligibility criteria, please visit our Undergraduate & Graduating Awards website.
Financial Assistance - how to apply for loans

Student Connect can assist you with your loan application and advise you on how to manage your loans and pay for your education. Check out our website here for details.

Student loans are administered by the provincial and federal governments. When you apply for your provincial loans, you will be simultaneously assessed for federal funding.

Student loans are interest-free and payment-free during the period of study, followed by a six-month grace period. 

Part-time student loans require using the paper application form from Student Aid Alberta. Once your loan application is complete, you will need to get Page 3 of the form signed by Student Connect, or the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research if you are a graduate student. Once the application is complete you will need to send it to Student Aid Alberta.

Can I apply for grants only?

Some provinces / territories may allow you to apply for grant funding without taking out a student loan. If you would like to apply for grant funding only, please watch our instructional video here or talk to your provincial loan borrower for more information.

How do I answer the question on the Alberta Student Loan that asks: "Are you enrolled in a correspondence/e-learning/distance study program?"

If you are applying for a student loan through Alberta Student Aid you will answer this question "No" even if some or all of your classes will be delivered online this fall. 

Student loan borrowers from other provinces should check with their province about how to report this on the student loan application.

I have accepted my scholarship/award offers. When will I receive my money?

If you have any outstanding tuition fees, your award payments will be applied directly to your tuition balance first.  If you are registered full time in both terms, the value of your awards will be split in half, with 50 per cent of the award applied to your tuition account for the Fall Term and the other 50 per cent applied to your tuition account for the Winter Term.

Students will start seeing your awards as "Anticipated Aid" in Bear Tracks by the end of August.

How can I decide if I need to apply for a Full time or a Part time Loan?

If you are a resident of the Province of Alberta (determine your residency by reading the information on the website here), then you can apply for full-time or part-time student loans for the fall and/or winter semester.

Your full-time or part-time status depends on the amount of courses you are taking and the specific courses you are registered in, so once your registration is finalized, we can assist you with that question!

If you are a full-time student, you can apply for a full-time student loan on the website, just as you did for the fall/winter semester.

If you are a part-time student, you need to fill out a paper application form which can be downloaded here. Complete all sections but exclude SIN information, your personal mailing address, date of birth, emergency contact section, you (and your partner’s signature if applicable) and any section to be completed by Office of the Registrar staff (Page 3), and send in a scanned copy as a reply to this email or through our Form Submission Request page if you are an undergraduate student or to FGSR if you are a graduate student. Once we fill out the form, we will send it back to you with instructions on how to submit the application, as we are not able to submit it on your behalf.

More information on Spring/Summer Loan can be found here
My student loan money hasn’t come in yet. What should I do?

If you have applied for Spring/Summer Alberta Student Loans, please ensure that you check your application on your Student Aid Alberta portal to identify any possible discrepancies along with your registration. If you cannot identify any discrepancies, please use our contact form and one of our advisors can assist you.

If you have applied for an Out of Province loan, please contact Financial Services at Please note that their staff are working remotely and will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

Fall 2021 Alberta Student Loan confirmations will begin no earlier than 30 days before the start of the Fall semester. 

Registration Assistance

How do I know what to register for in my first year courses?

You can use our Reg 101 website to get started on first year course registration.

Start by looking at the Registration 101 Tip Sheet from your faculty of choice which will outline the courses you are required to take in your first year of university, and throughout your degree. If you are interested in a professional program that only requires a year or two to enter, make sure you follow the professional program requirements, found using the tip sheets or our program search tool, instead of your faculty requirements.

Don’t forget to also use our resources like the BearTracks user guide.

For additional help with course registration, please be sure to contact your faculty. The Office of the Registrar cannot register students in courses.

What should I do if the course I want to enrol is full?

If you want to enroll in a class that is full, you can add the class to your Watch List. Once a space becomes available, an email notification will be sent to your UAlberta email address to let you know that a space is available. You also have the option to have the email notification sent to your personal email and/or mobile phone.

When enrolling in the class from your Watch List when a spot becomes available: 

  1. Click on the ‘Manage Classes’ tile and select ‘Shopping Cart and Watch List’
  2. Find the class in your Watch List and click on ‘Enroll’.  
For more information on Class Search and Watch List please refer to the Bear Tracks Resources page.
I have questions specific to my academic program, who should I talk to?

If you are an Open Studies student, Student Services (formally Student Connect) can assist you. 

For graduate academic program questions, please contact your department.

For undergraduate academic program questions, please contact your Faculty Student Services office. The things they can help with include:

  • Program / Degree planning and checklists
  • Course selection / registration
  • Declaring / Changing major
  • Academic Standing
  • Academic Appeals
  • Exams - Deferred and Re-exam
  • Transfer Credit
  • Document requests (Letter of Permission, Letter of Completion, Certificate application)
  • Graduation Requirements
  • Letter of Expected Graduation Date
  • Internships/Co-ops
  • Prospective Student Advising
  • Career Advising


Can I get an electronic transcript for an institution I am applying to?
The University of Alberta does not provide official electronic transcripts and will mail official transcripts to students or other institutions. You may request your official transcripts following these instructions. Please allow sufficient time for processing and mailing.
The institution I am applying to cannot accept paper mailed transcripts at this time.

If the institution you are sending your transcript to accepts the document if it's submitted by the student, then you can request an official transcript to be mailed to your home address, then scan and submit the document. Please allow sufficient time for processing and mailing. 

If you have access to your BearTracks account, you can also download an unofficial copy of your transcript and email it to the institution, if the institution will accept it. 

If these options do not work for the institution you are applying to please contact Student Connect and we will explore alternate options.


Why do I need to pay the non-instructional fees when I cannot make use of the services?

Non-instructional services remain accessible to students. Many are now offered remotely, providing students with the ability to access them regardless of location. The University of Alberta continues to follow public health guidelines when making decisions about in-person facility access. Services supported by the mandatory non-instructional fees are operational, available, and ready to help when students need them, although service delivery models may have changed. 

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible for non-repayable funding. Please review options here.

When and how do I pay my tuition?

Payment options

There are several payment options available; these options can vary depending on what type of student you are and what type of fee or deposit you are paying. For a detailed breakdown, please see the Deadlines and Payment Instructions page on the Admissions & Programs website. 

Once processed, payments applied to your account can be viewed in BearTracks under "Financials", by clicking on "Account Details" and selecting the correct term. Please note that payments can take several business days to process.

Payment deadlines

Payment deadlines for tuition fees, as well as other types of fees and deposits, are outlined in the Academic Schedule in the University Calendar (scroll down to see the Fall and Winter terms). Key dates and deadlines for each term are also published on the Registrar’s Office website.

Installment Charge. What is this? 

If you wait until the Winter term payment deadline to pay your Winter tuition fees, you will be assessed a $40 Installment Charge. You can avoid paying this charge by paying for both your Fall and Winter tuition fees by the Fall term payment deadline. Similarly, if you are taking courses in the Spring and Summer semester, you can avoid the $40 Installment Charge by paying for both your Spring and Summer tuition fees by the Spring term payment deadline. You will not be charged an installment fee for your Winter mandatory non-instructional fees as long as you paid all your other tuition & fees in the fall.


If you have additional questions or experience difficulties in making your payments, please view our Frequently Asked Questions or contact Financial Services for assistance.

Can I opt out of my fees?

There are some fees (SU dedicated fees and Health & Dental plan) that you may be able to opt out of. 

For information on how to change coverage, including opting out of the plan by the Fall Term deadline, or how to enroll if you are a new Winter Term student, please visit

Additional information about non-instructional fees and opt-out processes can be found here.

Can I opt into U-Pass?
At this time there is no option for opting into the service. The City of Edmonton has extended the Ride Transit program eligibility extended to students which provides transit passes at a reduced rate based on income for Sept 1 to April 30, 2021. Note: If you've already been accepted to the Ride Transit Program, your acceptance is valid until August 15, 2021. 
Why do I need to pay the non-instructional fees when all of my classes are online?

Mandatory non-instructional fees provide access to services and experiences to students who need or want the services and are not assessed on a user basis. Most fees have remained the same as the majority of services can be accessed remotely. 

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible for non-repayable funding. Please review your options here.

Why am I being charged Athletics and Recreation fees when I cannot use the facilities? 

The University of Alberta sport and recreation facilities availability will continue to follow public health guidelines to ensure the safety of students and staff when assessing service availability. Current availability of facilities and programming can be found here.

Campus & Community Recreation continues to encourage everyone to focus on staying physically active and mentally well while adjusting to our new remote routines and physical distancing. Check out their online resources and workouts you can use while you're at home here.

The Athletics and Recreation fee is a mandatory access fee charged to all students to allow access to Athletics and Recreation services whether you use it or not. The non-instructional fees support the administration of services on campus and are not assessed as a user fee. 

Can I appeal the Mandatory Non-Instructional fees that I have been assessed?

No, mandatory non-instructional fees cannot be appealed. These fees are approved by the Board of Governors. There are some fees (SU dedicated fees and Health & Dental plan) that you may be able to opt out of. 

Information about non-instructional fees can be found here.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible for non-repayable funding. Please review your options here.

I am an international student with a Guaranteed Tuition Model; how much is my tuition if I am going to take spring/summer courses?

If you choose to take Spring/Summer courses, your total tuition for your entire program will remain the same; however, your annual total will increase that year. It will be approximately 1/4 of your annual tuition guarantee, plus the cost of mandatory non-instructional fees. For example, if your annual tuition guarantee is $32,000, taking spring/summer courses will cost approximately $8,000 per term, plus mandatory non-instructional fees. Your specific assessment will be available on BearTracks in mid-February, once you are registered in the Spring/Summer courses you wish to take. 


How can I withdraw from a class?

After the registration deadline, you cannot drop or swap courses; you can only withdraw. (Note that there is also a withdrawal deadline). Withdrawals can be processed in Bear Tracks. Some withdrawals will be processed immediately, while others may require faculty review. Continue to attend classes until you have confirmation in Bear Tracks that your withdrawal has been processed.

Some Summer term courses have Non-Standard Dates and Deadlines, please check the search chart here for course reference.

For two-term A/B classes, between the end of the first term and the registration deadline for the second term you must go to your faculty office and complete a paper withdrawal form. Dropping the B-portion of a class will not automatically withdraw you from the A-portion during this time period, and you cannot withdraw from the A-portion on Bear Tracks once that term has ended.

For more information, please see the Withdrawals webpage or consult with your faculty.

Do I need a statutory declaration if I was sick and missed an exam or class assignment, or am sick and unable to participate in a class assignment or exam delivered remotely?
No. Please notify your instructor of your absence by email. Statutory declarations are not currently required for missed exams or class assignments related to illness. Please stay home if you are not feeling well and complete the Alberta Health Services Covid-19 Self Assessment if you are showing symptoms.
I have special learning requirements/adjustments in the classroom. How can I access the Accessibility Resources on Campus?

The office of Accessibility Resources (AR) provides an array of services and supports related to mobility, vision, hearing, learning, and physical and mental health.

The University of Alberta is committed to accessibility for all students and staff.  Most of our buildings, classrooms, and grounds are physically accessible, with ground-level entrances, door paddles, elevators, and accessible washrooms.  For more information please visit the Accessibility Resources office website.