BSc, Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of Victoria
PhD, Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Alberta
Postdoc, Medical Immunology, University of Pennsylvania
A. Teaching Awards
1. Inspirational Instructor Award - Interdepartmental Science Students’ Society (2012).
2. Nominated for the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences Faculty Teaching Award (2012).
3. University of Alberta Provost Award for Early Achievement of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2011). This represents the most prestigious award in undergraduate teaching at the Assistant Professor level in the University of Alberta.
4. NACTA Teaching Award of Merit - North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (2011).
5. Teacher of the Year Award (2008-2009)– Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science (AFNS).
6. Teacher of the Year Award (2007-2008)– Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science (AFNS).
B. Research Awards
7. Nominated for the Canadian Society of Zoology (CSZ) Bob Boutilier New Investigator Award for Excellence in Research (2012).
8. Research and Innovation Award - Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences (2011) for outstanding research contributions by a new faculty member.
9. Nominated for the NSERC Doctoral Prize for Research Excellence in Natural Sciences and Engineering (2004).
10. Nominated for the Governor General’s Gold Medal - Most Outstanding Doctoral Student at the University of Alberta (2003).
11. Banff Inflammation Workshop Young Investigator Prize (2003).
12. Alan Birdsall Memorial Scholarship: Research in Applied Fisheries Ecology & Management (2002).
13. Andrew Stewart Memorial Graduate Prize for Research Excellence (2000).
C. Scholarships and Travel Awards
14. ICI/FOCIS International Congress of Immunology Travel Award (2004).
15. NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2003).
16. International Society of Developmental and Comparative Immunology (ISDCI) Travel Bursary (2003).
17. Mary Louise Imrie Graduate Student Award (2003).
18. Department of Biological Sciences Travel Award (2003).
19. University of Alberta Dissertation Fellowship + tuition/fees (2002).
20. Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Postgraduate Scholarship (2001).
21. NSERC PGS-B Scholarship (2000).
22. Walter H. Johns Graduate Fellowship (1998; 1999; 2000; 2001).
23. NSERC PGS-A Scholarship and increased stipend and Intersession Bursary (1998).
24. Graduate Teaching Assistantship (1997).
25. Walter H. Johns Tuition Scholarship (1997).
26. Faculty of Science GTA Scholarship (1997).
27. President’s Entrance Scholarship (1992).
28. Canada Scholarship – McGill University (1992 - declined).
29. B.C. Provincial Scholarship (1992).