Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Planning

The Ph.D. in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences with specialization in Urban and Regional Planning provides training in theory, advanced research methods, and the application of planning principles. Students are trained to take up higher-level education, applied research, or upper-level policy positions.

Tory Building - North campus

Students in the Ph.D. program typically work closely with one (or two) faculty members. They will also often develop connections across campus within, for example, the Faculties of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences; Arts; Engineering; and Medicine and Dentistry.

Admissions to the program are selective, and applicants usually have a graduate degree in Urban and Regional Planning (or in a closely related field). Applicants are required to show a capacity for advanced research and have a compelling research area they have developed prior to applying to the Ph.D. program.

If you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. with the School of Urban and Regional Planning, have a look at some of our faculty bios and learn about some of they research areas they are pursuing with students. Note that applicants must secure a supervisor before applying to the program. 


Application Instructions


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum grade point average requirement for graduate study?

The grade point average obtained during the last 60 units of course weight of undergraduate (or graduate) study must be at least 6.5 on the 9-point grading scale used at the University of Alberta or an equivalent standing from another recognized institution. However, beginning September 2003, the University of Alberta will adopt the 4-point grading system, requiring a grade point average of 3.

For more information on international grade equivalencies, see our International Admissions page.

What are the admission deadlines?

The department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) suggests applications be submitted prior to mid-February for September admission. Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding. Please note that EAS admissions are September and January only.

What are the language requirements?

For students whose language of instruction is other than English, EAS recognizes four English language examinations: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment. The minimum acceptable score can be found here

Applicants will need to upload the results as part of their application.

How much is the application fee?

There is a $135 non-refundable application fee.

What type of funding is available?

Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, scholarships, and bursaries are available to eligible students. For further information on funding, please refer to our website at Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding.

Is housing available?

On-campus residences are available for prospective students, and we also offer assistance locating off-campus housing. Additional information is available through Residence Services:

What type of references are required?
Two letters of reference are required. One of them must be academic reference; the other reference may be academic or professional.