Undergraduate Programs

The University of Alberta offers a BSc Specialization and a BA Major in Planning. To find out more about the difference between the two, check out our FAQs and watch the information video below.


How do I decide which degree to pursue?

Ask yourself these questions:

  • Am I more interested in the physical, social, economic or aesthetic aspects of communities (BA) or in the impact to wildlife, environment and the use of technology in planning (BSc)?
  • Do I want to build neighbourhoods that are inclusive, sustainable and enhance quality of life (BA) or do I want to ensure that infrastructure develops in a manner that protect water resources and environmentally sensitive areas (BSc)?

No matter which degree you chose, graduates are eligible to apply for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and to become a Registered Professional Planner (RPP).

What is the difference between a BA Major in Planning versus a BSc Major/Honors in Urban and Regional Planning?

Find the answer to this and more FAQs here