My research can be categorized into two major areas.
Health Outcomes Research
I am interested in understanding the effects of medications used to treat people with type 2 diabetes. My work in this area follows three lines of inquiry:
- Is there an association between sulfonylurea use and risk of adverse cardiovascular events?
- Does aspirin dose moderate the effect of aspirin in people with type 2 diabetes?
- How does medication adherence affect the association between medications and outcomes in people with type 2 diabetes?
I have used a number of research methods in the fields of pharmacoepidemiology and systematic reviews to examine these questions.
Health Services Research
I am interested in understanding the effects of pharmacist intervention in the management of people with type 2 diabetes.
- Simpson SH, Lee J, Choi S, Vandermeer B, Abdelmoneim AS, Featherstone TR. Mortality risk varies amongst sulfonylureas: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2015;3:43-51.
- Simpson SH, Abdelmoneim AS, Omran D, Featherstone TR. Prevalence of high on-treatment platelet reactivity in diabetic patients treated with higher versus lower doses of aspirin: a systematic review. Am J Med 2014;127:95.e1-95.e9.
- Abdelmoneim AS, Eurich DT, Gamble JM, Johnson JA, Seubert JM, Qiu W, Simpson SH. Risk of acute coronary events associated with glyburide compared to gliclazide use in patients with type 2 diabetes: a nested case-control study. Diab Obesity & Metab 2014;16:22-9.
- Eurich DT, Simpson SH, Senthilselvan A, Asche CV, Sandhu-Minhas JK, McAlister FA. Comparative safety and effectiveness of sitagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes: retrospective population based cohort study. Brit Med J 2013;346:f2267.
- Ladhani NN, Majumdar SR, Johnson JA, Tsuyuki RT, Lewanczuk RZ, Spooner R, Simpson SH. Adding pharmacists to primary care teams reduces predicted long-term risk of cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetic patients without established cardiovascular disease: results from a randomized trial. Diab Med 2012;29:1433-9.
- Abdelmoneim AS, Hasenbank SE, Seubert JM, Brocks DR, Light PE, Simpson SH. Variations in tissue selectivity amongst insulin secretagogues: a systematic review. Diab Obesity & Metab 2012;14:130-8.
- Simpson SH, Gamble JM, Mereu L, Chambers T. Effect of aspirin dose on mortality and cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med 2011;26:1336-44.
- Simpson SH, Majumdar SR, Tsuyuki RT, Lewanczuk RZ, Spooner R, Johnson JA. Effect of adding pharmacists to primary care teams on blood pressure control in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial (ISRCTN97121854). Diabetes Care 2011;34:20-6.
- Simpson SH, Eurich DT, Majumdar SR, Padwal R, Tsuyuki RT, Varney J, Johnson JA. A meta-analysis of the association between drug therapy adherence and mortality. Brit Med J 2006;333:15-8.
- Simpson SH, Majumdar SR, Tsuyuki RT, Eurich DT, Johnson JA. The dose-response relationship between sulfonylureas and mortality in type 2 diabetes: a population-based cohort study. Can Med Assoc J 2006;174:169-74.