Rental Policies and Driver Regulations

Passengers in UAlberta Vehicles

Vehicles rented through UAlberta for university business must only be used for this purpose. Passengers working on other business are not permitted to ride in the vehicle.

Driver's Hours of Service Regulation and Log Books

The provincial driver’s hours of service regulations apply for any vehicles registered over 11,794 kg. Certain UAlberta vehicles require drivers to complete a daily log book per Alberta commercial vehicle:

  • Vehicles that weigh more than 11,794 kg
  • Vans and buses designed to carry ten or more people (including the driver)

All of the following conditions are required for an exemption from completing a driver log when operating a U of A fleet vehicle:

  • Round trip (there and back) mileage is less than 160 km
  • The driver returns to his or her departure location within 13 hours
  • The driver records start of work and end of work
  • The driver is not under a permit or other restriction from Transport Canada (or another commercial vehicle regulation)

Vehicle Inspections

According to Alberta commercial vehicle regulations, vehicles that weigh more than 4,500 kg (such as 3/4-ton pick-up trucks with heavy cargo, most one-ton trucks and trucks rated three-ton or more) require daily driver inspections.

Your Responsibility

When you are driving a UAlberta vehicle, you represent the university. It is your responsibility to demonstrate professionalism when operating the vehicle and to obey all traffic laws.

Travel Outside Alberta

The University of Alberta has switched to a provincial carrier status, which means no vehicles or vehicle combinations (e.g. truck and trailer combinations) with a combined registered weight over 4,500 kg can operate outside of the province. There is an exception for vehicles rented from an outside vehicle rental company for 30 days or less. You can contact Transportation Services at to make arrangements.

A reserve fund is set up through Transportation Services to assist researchers impacted by the switch to provincial carrier and incur additional expenses to carry out their research/work out of province. For more information contact Transportation Services at

Crossing the Border

If drivers will be crossing the Canada/US border with a university vehicle, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) might ask for documentation that the driver of a vehicle is either the lawful owner or authorized driver of that vehicle. CBP can turn the driver back if they fail to provide such documentation.

Please complete this form to obtain the Vehicle Border Crossing Authority Letter. There is a $25 admin fee for this service.

Need help?

Transportation Services
(780) 492-1920

Fleet Safety Officer


NOTICE: Low vehicle inventory and modified booking procedures for vehicles from second supplier

Due to factory and supply chain shortages affecting our primary supplier, U of A Transportation Services vehicles may be provided by a secondary supplier. As a result, U of A may be unable to supply vehicles under short notice, and booking procedures and fees may differ depending on which vehicle supplier is used.

For vehicles obtained from the secondary supplier:

  • Fees are based on when the vehicle is delivered to the Transportation Services yard
    • Fees will begin incurring when the vehicle has been delivered to the Transportation Services yard (prior to the booking time)
    • Fees will stop when the vehicle is ready to be returned to the supplier’s shop (following inspections for damage)
  • Vehicles from the secondary supplier can only be picked up Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm
    • This change is to prevent you from incurring additional charges, as vehicles cannot be returned to the supplier on weekends or after hours
  • Damage (if any) must be reported prior to returning the vehicle, which may result in additional charges

Differences in supplier fees are a result of securing the secondary supplier during less favorable marketing conditions.

We ask for your assistance in providing as much notice to your booking as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Last modified April 25, 2023