When will I know my registration is complete with the Postdoc Office?

  • When your registration is complete, the Postdoc Office will send you an email that you are registered and may go to the ONEcard office (9104 HUB Mall) to obtain your ONEcard.

Can Postdoc's Ride the LRT between South Campus and the Royal Alexandra Hospital like staff do?

  • Postdocs who have "Staff" indicated on their ONEcards are able to ride the LRT between South Campus and the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Can I get a U-Pass?

  • No, the U-Pass is for registered students only.

How do I add my family to by benefits plan?

Where do I add my dependent's name(s) and date(s) of birth?

  • The form that you complete and provide to Pensions and Benefits is to only change the coverage from "Single" to "Family". Your dependent's information is supplied to Great-West Life once you need to submit a claim for them.
  • Please note: your first claim for yourself and for your dependent(s) must be a hard copy claim form that needs to be mailed to Great-West Life. Please see this link for more details.

Who Pays for the Supplemental Benefits?

  • Your supervising faculty member/department/faculty is responsible for covering the cost of the supplement benefits provided by Great-West Life for you and your eligible dependents.
  • Part-Time appointments are not eligible for the supplemental health benefits plan.

Can Postdoc's Access the Gym?

  • Yes, Postdocs who are considered employees will have access to the gym without having to pay. Postdocs who are considered "Trainee's" or "Guest's" can access the gym but at a reduced membership rate. You can check the rates of the gym here

How do I get a Confirmation or Verification of Employment?

How will Bill 7 impact International Postdoctoral Employees?

As Per Immigration Services

Work Permits

Postdoctoral Fellows are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)-exempt and fall under the International Mobility Program

The change in employment status should not affect the terms and conditions of the work permit

Permanent Residence

Immigration related questions should be directed to immigration.services@ualberta.ca.

Can an international postdoctoral employee opt out of CPP/EI?

  • International postdoctoral employees should contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and/or a financial advisor to discuss potential options based on individual circumstances

Do Postdocs have Winter Closer off?

  • All University wide closures apply to postdocs.