When will I know my registration is complete with the Postdoc Office?
- When your registration is complete, the Postdoc Office will send you an email that you are registered and may go to the ONEcard office (9104 HUB Mall) to obtain your ONEcard.
Can Postdoc's Ride the LRT between South Campus and the Royal Alexandra Hospital like staff do?
- Postdocs who have "Staff" indicated on their ONEcards are able to ride the LRT between South Campus and the Royal Alexandra Hospital.
Can I get a U-Pass?
- No, the U-Pass is for registered students only.
How do I add my family to by benefits plan?
- If you would like to add dependents to your supplemental benefits plan through Great-West Life, please complete the Great-West Life Group Coverage Change form in sections in sections one and five and sign in section eleven and return the form to the
Postdoctoral Fellows Office, 4-10 University Terrace.
Where do I add my dependent's name(s) and date(s) of birth?
- The form that you complete and provide to the Postdoc Office is to only change the coverage from "Single" to "Family". Your dependent's information is supplied to Great-West Life once you need to submit a claim for them.
- Please note: your first claim for yourself and for your dependent(s) must be a hard copy claim form that needs to be mailed to Great-West Life. Please see this link for more details.
Who Pays for the Supplemental Benefits?
- Your supervising faculty member/department/faculty is responsible for covering the cost of the supplement benefits provided by Great-West Life for you and your eligible dependents.
- Part-Time appointments are not eligible for the supplemental health benefits plan.
Can Postdoc's Access the Gym?
- Yes, Postdocs who are considered employees will have access to the gym without having to pay. Postdocs who are considered "Trainee's" or "Guest's" can access the gym but at a reduced membership rate. You can check the rates of the gym here
How do I get a Confirmation or Verification of Employment?
How will Bill 7 impact International Postdoctoral Employees?
As Per Immigration Services
Postdoctoral Fellows are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)-exempt and fall under the International Mobility Program
The change in employment status should not affect the terms and conditions of the work permit
Due to individual circumstances, permanent residence eligibility will differ for each foreign national.
- Express Entry: may positively impact the eligibility assessment via Canadian Experience Class or Federal Skilled Worker by recognizing postdoctoral research as Canadian work experience
- Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP): ineligible under the employer-driven stream, as employees must demonstrate they hold a permanent position with an Alberta employer
Can an international postdoctoral employee opt out of CPP/EI?
- International postdoctoral employees should contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and/or a financial advisor to discuss potential options based on individual circumstances
Do Postdocs have Winter Closer off?
- All University wide closures apply to postdocs.