The University of Alberta's North Campus lies on Treaty 6 lands known during the fur trade as "River Lot Five" and runs from 116 Street on the west to 110 Street on the east and from the North Saskatchewan River to University Avenue. The campus is surrounded by the neighbourhoods of Windsor Park, Belgravia, McKernan and Garneau.
The first building on this section of land, Athabasca Hall, was built in 1911 and not only served as a residence for staff and students, but also accommodated classrooms, laboratories, the library, the gymnasium and the administrative offices. Assiniboia Hall was completed in 1913, Pembina Hall followed in 1914, and the Arts Building was formally opened in 1915. Since then, university buildings have continued to be built as academic requirements have demanded and financial considerations could be met. Today, the North Campus is a bustling community of some 35,000 students and approximately 7,500 faculty and staff. The North Campus is the hub of the university's academic and research activities as well as administrative functions.