Tuition and Funding

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are regulated by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. For detailed information concerning tuition for domestic and international studies, please see the FGSR Tuition and Fees page. This website will also give you a general sense of the cost of living in Edmonton, which can be high.

For information about coming to the University of Alberta as an international student, check out International Student Services.

Funding and Scholarships

The Admissions Committee considers funding possibilities for all students at the time of admission. If you are made an offer of admission, you will be told at that time whether you will be made an offer of funding in the MLCS offer letter. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer funding for all students. The primary source of funding for students in this department is teaching assistantships in our undergraduate language courses, and limited research assistantships.

We encourage all eligible Canadians and Permanent Residents to apply for a Tri-Council Graduate Scholarship. At the time of the scholarship application, you need not yet be assured of admission to a degree program in MLCS, but you must submit your scholarship application by the Tri-Council deadline, followed by your MLCS program application by the department's January 15 deadline. Indicate any scholarship applications under the appropriate tab within your MLCS program application.

Eligible MA applicants can apply for a CGS-M, and PhD applicants can apply for a SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral. Read the details in the appropriate link, and follow the Tri-Council instructions. You will also need to guide your referees, who must submit appraisal letters. Contact for more department-specific information if you have any questions.

Information about other potential scholarships can be found on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website. The department does not offer its own entrance scholarships.