Dental Hygiene Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

When do applications open and what is the deadline to apply?
Applications open July 1 and the deadline to apply is November 1.
Am I required to be immunized?
Complete and fully documented immunization is a program requirement. The vaccination requirements are based on the Alberta Provincial guidelines for HealthCare Students in a Post-Secondary Institution and serology/immunization outside the guidelines is not routinely done or recommended. All immunization records need to be written and legible. Certified translation must be provided for all non-English documentation. Students without acceptable records will be required to complete their primary immunization series which can take many months so early action on this requirement is strongly advised.

Admission Requirements

In what faculty should I complete the requirements?

It is entirely up to you as to which program you choose to complete the Preprofessional requirements in.  Most applicants choose to complete them through the Faculty of Science but they may be completed through other faculties.  We recommend applicants have an alternate program in mind when completing the Preprofessional requirements so that if never admitted into the program they can remain in their alternate program and complete a degree of their choosing. 

You may wish to consult the University of Alberta Calendar,, to review the various programs available at the University of Alberta.

Can I have my course work evaluated before I apply to see if I meet requirements?

Upon receipt of an application for admission and all required documents the Registrar's Office will evaluate your coursework to determine if you have met the requirements.  Unfortunately, we are not able to provide unofficial evaluations of coursework.

Will a criminal record prevent licensure to practice dental hygiene?
The Registrar of the Provincial licensing body may refuse to issue a license to practice dental hygiene to any applicant possessing a criminal record. If you have any concerns, contact the licensing association of the province you wish to practice in.
Do you require letters of reference?
Letters of reference are not required when applying to the Dental Hygiene program.
Does the Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Alberta have a waiting list that carries over from year to year?
No, the Dental Hygiene program at the University of Alberta does not have a waiting list for admission. All applicants are in open competition for any given year.

Transfer Programs and Course Credit

I am attending a post secondary institution in Alberta, will I receive credit for my courses in the DH program pre-professional requirements?
Applicants who attend a college or university college in Alberta should consult the Alberta Transfer Guide (ACAT), to confirm if their coursework will transfer. For example, ENGL 231 completed at Medicine Hat College would transfer to the University of Alberta as ENGL 1XX (3) or AUENG 1XX (3). This indicates unspecified English credit may be transferable into any U of A Faculty, including Augustana campus. The course is not close enough in content to receive a specific course credit, however, it will transfer as a English option.
When a course appears in the Alberta Transfer Guide transferable only as AUXXX transfer credit, what does that mean?
This means a course transfers specifically to the Augustana Campus at the University of Alberta. If a course transfers to the Augustana Campus it may be used in the Overall GPA calculation for admission purposes, however, it may not automatically be used towards a pre-professional requirement, nor guaranteed as transfer credit into a non-Augustana program.
Will you assess my transfer credit in advance of my application?

Transfer credit assessments are completed after your application for admission has been evaluated. We are unable to assess courses in advance or via email.

The following tools are available for you to check your courses in advance. Feel free to use them as you plan your timetable and course selection.


Transfer Alberta provides transfer credit information based on agreements in place between Alberta post-secondary institutions.

Upon receipt of an application for admission and all required documents the Registrar's Office will evaluate your coursework to determine if you have met the preprofessional requirements.

Can I transfer to the degree completion program from another institution?
Our Post Diploma Degree completion program is restricted to University of Alberta graduates.
Is it possible to transfer from another Dental Hygiene program to the University of Alberta Dental Hygiene program?
We do not accept any advance standing or transfer students from other Dental Hygiene programs.
What credit is granted for work completed in a Dental Assistant program or previous work experience in a dental field?
Courses completed in a Dental Assistant program are not university transferable courses and will not be granted advanced credit. No credit will be granted for work experience.

GPA Calculation

What comprises my overall GPA?

Overall GPA is comprised of all transferable postsecondary work completed as a full-time student taken during Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer Terms. 

For overall GPA calculation full-time study is equivalent to a minimum of *18 taken during Fall/Winter Terms or *12 taken during Spring/Summer Terms.

For applicants who have completed four or more years of full-time transferable postsecondary work, the cumulative (overall) GPA is calculated with the deletion of the lowest Fall/Winter GPA, provided it is not the most recent Fall/Winter or the only year where *27 was taken.

Will repeated coursework be included in my OGPA?
If you repeat a course only the first passing grade will be considered. For University of Alberta coursework a grade of D and above is considered passing. Grades of D+, D, D- and F are considered deficient for transfer coursework (i.e. courses not completed at the University of Alberta). If a passing graded is attained no credit will be granted if the course is attempted again.
I have a Withdrawal on my transcripts, how will this affect my application?
Transcripts are reviewed on a case by case basis, but generally a Withdrawal will only affect your application if it occurs during the current year in which you are applying. For example, if it affects your a) academic year with a full course load of 27 ucw, b) full-time status, c) your ability to graduate, or d) your ability to meet our requirements for application.
How do I calculate my weighted Overall GPA?

Your total grades points divided by total number of credits equals your OGPA. 

You may follow these steps to calculate your OGPA:

  1. Multiply the numeric value of your grade by the number of credits that course is worth.  This equals the grade points for that course.
  2. Do this for all of your classes and add your total grade points together.
  3. Divide that number by your total number of credits.
  4. The number you have at the end is your weighted OGPA