University Health Centre

Health Insurance

Do You Have Coverage?

Patients of the University Health Centre may be eligible to have a portion or all of their visit covered by a health plan. Your health insurance coverage depends on whether or not you're a Canadian citizen, your province of origin and your student status at the U of A. If you do not have health insurance, you are responsible for the cost of your medical services.

Alberta Health Care 

If you are moving to Alberta from within Canada, you are eligible for coverage on the 1st day of the 3rd month following the date you establish permanent residency here. If you are moving from outside Canada, you are eligible for coverage on the date you arrive. Note: Alberta Health Care does not cover uninsured services. Such services are charged to the patient (or company in the case of a company medical). 

International Students

All international students who have been in Canada for less than 12 months and are not eligible for Alberta Health Care must obtain coverage through the U of A Health Insurance Plan (UAHIP). A claim form must be completed at each visit by the patient and given to the physician for completion. This plan is administered by the International Centre.

Coverage From A Different Province? 

We require your health insurance number and we will bill your provincial agency directly for all provinces/territories (except Quebec). For Quebec coverage, the patient must pay the UHC, and a claim form will be provided to the physician to complete. The patient can then submit the completed form to the Quebec health ministry for reimbursement.

Undergraduate & Graduate Student Health Plans 

The Undergraduate and Graduate Student Health and Dental Plans insure medical services not covered by Alberta Health and other provincial health insurance plans, such as prescription drugs, dental care, eye exams, and many other services.