Student Service Centre Frequently Asked Questions

Browse the topics below to find what you're looking for. If we can't answer your question here, please contact us and we'll be happy to help!

Last updated: August 31, 2023

Registration Information

Where can I find registration information?

General Guidelines for Enrolment Appointment Times can be found on our Course Registration Information website

You can also use our Registration and Courses webpage for an overview of the registration process.
I am trying to register in a course and am getting an error message.

There may be multiple reasons why you are receiving an “error” message when attempting to register for classes in Bear Tracks. Within the 'error' message you will see an explanation which will tell you why you are unable to register for your class. You may be able to address the “error” on your own, by reviewing the following scenarios:

  • Do you have a financial hold? For information about financial holds, visit clearing holds on your record.
  • Is the class open to web registration? Classes not available for web registration will have a 'Closed (Contact Dept)' note when searching for the class. For assistance registering for a closed course, contact the teaching department in the faculty that administers the class.
  • Is the class full? If the class is full, you can add the class to your “Watch List” in Bear Tracks; an email notification will be sent to your UAlberta email account when a spot becomes available so you can then attempt to register.
  • Do you meet the prerequisites, corequisites, and restrictions? Information regarding prerequisites and corequisites can be found in the Notes section of the class. Click on the 'Notes' icon to access these details. If you believe you have met the prerequisites or course restrictions, please contact the teaching department in the faculty that administers the class directly.
  • Is there a time conflict? The system protects you from creating timetable conflicts by not accepting registrations in sections which will overlap on your schedule.
  • Have you been admitted to two programs?If so, you may need to change your program in Bear Tracks in order to register in your courses.
  • Have you been recently admitted? Once you accept your offer and pay your tuition deposit (if applicable), it can take up to 48 hours for your registration to become activated.

Visit the Course Registration web page for more information about registering for courses.

I am a post-secondary transfer student, and have questions about my transfer credit. Who do I talk to?

After you have received an offer of admission, courses from other post-secondary institutions as well as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and The General Certificate of Education (GCE) are evaluated for credit toward your program at the University of Alberta. Please note that the transfer credit evaluation can take several weeks. When transfer credit has been granted, you will be able to access it in BearTracks by selecting 'Academic Records' then 'Transfer Credit Report'. The timing of the Transfer Credit Report is determined by your Faculty.

If you have further questions about your Transfer Credit please contact your Faculty advisors directly. Visit Faculties, Centres and Institutes for a complete listing and links to each page. Click through to your faculty’s website, then check the menu headings on that page for “Departments” or “Contact Us.”

I transferred programs but I am still showing as Year 1 in Bear Tracks. How do I get registered for my 2nd, 3rd, 4th year courses because I am afraid they will fill up?
If you are appearing as a first-year student, it may be that your transfer credit has not yet been assessed. Please contact your faculty office to learn more about the status of your transfer credit.
I am starting studies at the University of Alberta in the Fall. Where can I find course registration information?

You can use our Reg 101 website to get started on first-year course registration. You can also sign up to attend a Faculty registration workshop, either virtually or in person. 

Start by looking at the Registration 101 Tip Sheet from your faculty of choice which will outline the courses you are required to take in your first year of university and throughout your degree. If you are interested in a professional program that only requires a year or two to enter, follow the professional program requirements, found using the tip sheets or our program search tool,  instead of your faculty requirements.

Don’t forget to also use our resources like the Bear Tracks user guide.

Please note that before you begin to build your schedule or register in courses, you will need to accept your offer and pay the non-refundable $500 or $1,000 tuition deposit, if applicable.

Spring/Summer 2023

What are the registration dates and deadlines for the Spring/Summer 2023 terms?

For more information on Spring 2023 dates and deadlines, including when registration and classes begin and the add/drop deadlines, please visit our Spring Dates & Deadlines website.

For more information on Summer 2023 dates and deadlines, including when registration and classes begin and the add/drop deadlines, please visit our Summer Dates & Deadlines website.

Where can I find more information related to the proposed tuition increases for 2023/24?

Information regarding the tuition increases that have been proposed by the University of Alberta for the 2023/24 academic year can be found on our Tuition Increases web page

There is also a Q&A with Melissa Padfield, Deputy Provost (Students and Enrollment) regarding the tuition increase proposal on the YouAlberta blog. 

How much is Spring/Summer tuition if I have an international Tuition Guarantee?

If you choose to take Spring/Summer courses, your annual total will increase that year, however your total tuition for your entire program will remain the same. Enrolment in either Spring or Summer courses is assessed at 1/4 of your annual tuition guarantee for either Spring or Summer, plus the cost of mandatory non-instructional fees. For example, if your annual tuition guarantee is $32,000, taking spring or summer courses will cost approximately $8,000 per term, plus the mandatory non-instructional fees. Your specific assessment will be available on Bear Tracks in mid-February, once you have registered in the Spring/Summer courses you wish to take.

Please note that withdrawn or failed courses are included towards your credit allotment as outlined in your tuition guarantee. In the event you pay more than your guaranteed tuition amount through taking courses in Spring and/or Summer, not including retaken courses as a result of withdrawn or failed courses, your tuition fees will be adjusted to reflect the overpayment in your final year.

Spring/Summer Course Costs for International Studies Admitted Prior to Fall 2020

Please see the Office of the Registrar's Spring/Summer Tuition for International Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2020.
I missed my final exam. What do I need to do?

The section on Examinations in the University Calendar contains general information about writing a deferred final exam. 

IMPORTANT: You cannot apply for a deferred examination in advance of the scheduled date of your final exam.

The University of Alberta has a number of health and wellness supports you can access, both in person and from a distance.
What is the Student Service Portal and how can I use it?

The Student Service Portal is where you can log in (with your CCID or your personal email) and send us questions, update your file or application, send us forms to fill out.  You can also access articles suggesting information relevant to your questions.  We receive your inquiries in our ticketing system, allowing us to respond and easily redirect your question if needed.

You can track your inquiries and find answers to your questions in our carefully crafted and curated article resources.  For more information, please see our Instructional Video and instructions on using the Student Service Centre.

When is New Student Orientation? Where can I find more information?

We are looking forward to seeing you at Orientation! New Student Orientation happens from September 2-4, 2023. The day will run from 9am-3:00pm. Students will attend one of the three days listed! Please ensure that you have registered for New Student Orientation. Orientation is run by the University of Alberta Students' Union and is the best way to familiarize yourself with campus, meet new people, and get excited about the upcoming year. See the Orientation website for registration and more details!


When can I apply for convocation for Fall?
Undergraduate Students

Apply for Fall Convocation between March 15 and September 1.

Graduate Students

Apply for Fall Convocation between May 1 and September 30 (before 4 p.m.).

Apply for graduation in Bear Tracks under Graduation in Academic Records. You can see the status of your application by clicking Graduation Status after submitting your application.

You are required to apply for graduation even if you don't plan to attend your convocation ceremony.

Tax Forms

What is a T2202 and how can I get it?

A T2202 is a tax form that is required by the CRA to determine your eligibility for any Educational Tax Credits that are offered.

You can access your Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate (T2202) on Bear Tracks. T2202 certificates (formerly called T2202A's) are typically available in mid-to-end of February of each year.

 An email notification will be sent to your U of A account once the form has been made available for the current tax year. You can also access T2202 certificates for previous tax years through Bear Tracks.

 To access T2202 certificates in Bear Tracks, select ‘Financial Account’, then click on 'Tax forms' on the menu on the left and click on T2202. Select the desired tax year. Please note that computers require Adobe Reader to open and print T2202 certificates.

I received my T2202 but the dollar value is showing as $0?

Please update your address in Bear Tracks as your address may be inactive. Once your address has been updated, your T2202 will re-populate with the correct dollar value. 

What is a T4A and how will I receive my T4A?

A T4A is a document provided for tax purposes to those who have received scholarships, awards or bursaries. 

If you are eligible to receive a T4A from the Office of the Registrar, your form(s) will be available in your Bear Tracks, under “Financials”, by the end of February of each year.  

In order to access your T4As in Bear Tracks, you will need to provide your consent for electronic delivery, which can be done in Bear Tracks:

  • Log into Bear Tracks
  • Navigate to the “Financials” section
  • Click on “T4A Tax Form”
  • Select “yes”
  • Click “submit” to consent

You only need to provide consent once for T4A tax forms distributed by the Office of the Registrar to receive your T4A electronically for all future years. You can change the status of your consent at any time. 

If you do not provide consent for electronic delivery a paper copy will be mailed to your address listed in Bear Tracks instead.

Tax slips are available to all current or former employees who have received taxable earnings or benefits in the taxation year being reported. Questions related to tax documents from taxable earnings or benefits can be directed to the Staff Service Centre. You can also view the Tax Slips for Employees webpage for more details.

How can I request a T4A reprint?

Tax documents prior to 2017 (2016 or earlier) are not available through Bear Tracks. If you require a reprint of your T4A that is not available in Bear Tracks, you can visit the “My Account for Individuals” page on the CRA website or email your request to U of A Financial Services at

If you have received an award from an external provider (not the University of Alberta), please contact the external provider to request your T4A. 

How do I update my SIN for tax purposes?

You can provide your SIN in Bear Tracks. After you have logged in you should receive a prompt to add your SIN to your student profile. If you have not received this prompt you may also click on the “Personal Information” tab and select “Social Insurance Number” from the drop-down menu.

If you are having issues with updating your SIN through BearTracks, you can bring your original SIN documents to Student Service Centre during our business hours or submit your updated SIN via mail. You can send a photocopy of your SIN documentation to the address below. Please also include your student ID number somewhere on the photocopied document. Please DO NOT submit an electronic copy for security purposes. 

  • Confirmation of SIN letter
  • SIN card
  • Other documentation showing your SIN, which has been issued by Service Canada or the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

Student Service Centre mailing address: 

Office of the Registrar
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB
T6G 2M7


Once the document has been received and your records have been updated, your SIN documentation will be destroyed.

I am an international student, how do I do my taxes? Can someone help me with my tax return?

As a student at the University of Alberta, you are subject to Canada's taxation laws and the Province of Alberta. To help you understand the Canadian tax system, visit Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.

Canada has a self-assessment system, which means that each individual must determine their own taxes for each taxation year. The taxation year is based on the calendar year of January 1 to December 31. Completed tax returns should be filed by April 30 of the following year. Taxes are calculated by using income, deductions, non-refundable tax credits and refundable tax credits.

For more information and for tax walkthrough workshops, please visit the International Student Services website.

Transcripts & Verification of Enrolment

Can I get an electronic transcript for an institution I am applying to?

If you are a current or former student who has maintained your Bear Tracks access, you can request an authentic, tamper-evident, and legally valid official electronic transcript that will be available to share through MyCreds within a couple of hours of submitting your request.

MyCreds is a secure portal that provides you with access to view and share your digitized and portable post-secondary transcripts anytime, anywhere.

  1. Log into Bear Tracks using your student CCID and password.  
  2. Select “Academic Records.”
  3. Click on "Request Official Transcript” from the menu on the left hand side.
  4. Indicate whether you want your transcript request to be processed immediately, after grades are approved, or after your degree is awarded.
  5. Select “Electronic Transcript” as the Delivery Method.
  6. Submit your request.
  7. Within a few hours, you will receive an email instructing you to log into MyCreds to access your official electronic transcript. Please note that a share credit must be purchased each time you send this document to a recipient using MyCreds. Each share credit is either $6 for current U of A students, or $12 for former students and alumni.The automatic process is not run on Saturdays, so students who make MyCreds requests on Saturday may not see their transcript in MyCreds until Sunday.

While you can purchase a share credit to send your electronic official transcript to yourself and download it from MyCreds, sharing that transcript with anyone else may render it “unofficial,” depending on their needs. Please ensure that the recipient will accept an electronic transcript from you (as opposed to the school) before you send it in this format. You will be required to pay for an additional share credit to send it directly to the recipient if the recipient refuses to accept a transcript that you previously shared with yourself.

How can I request an official transcript if I do not have access to Bear Tracks?

If you are a former student without access to Beartracks, you can access an electronic version of your Official Transcript using our Transcript Request Form here. The electronic transcript request will be fulfilled through MyCreds™ | MesCertif™. Please note, electronic transcripts are unavailable to students who attended post-secondary studies at the University of Alberta prior to 1980 or students who attended Augustana Faculty (Camrose) prior to September 2006.

How can I get a Verification of Enrolment document?

Your Verification of Enrollment certificate will be available in Bear Tracks 62 days prior to the start of the applicable term, whether you are registered in one, or both linked terms. You may continue to access it for 120 days following the term’s official end date.

You can request an authentic, tamper-evident, and legally valid official electronic Verification of Enrollment certificate for the current academic year through Bear Tracks. An hour or so after submitting your request, you will receive an email with instructions on creating and logging into your MyCreds account (a secure portal that provides you with access to view and share your digitized and portable post-secondary documents anytime, anywhere). Please note that this process does not run on Saturdays, so requests submitted on Saturday will be fulfilled on Sunday.

Once you have access to MyCreds, you will be prompted to purchase a share credit for $10 CAD (plus applicable taxes) to view and share your Verification of Enrollment certificate. From the time the credit is purchased, you will have 150 days of unlimited viewing and sharing access, so you can send your certificate to as many third parties (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, banks, loan and scholarship providers, landlords, etc.) as needed during that period.

For instructions on how to access your Verification of Enrolment Document, please visit our webpage.
Will my RESP provider accept a Verification of Enrolment Document?

The following major RESP providers have confirmed the use of the Verification of Enrollment certificates issued through MyCreds: 

  • Knowledge First Financial (Heritage Education Funds) 
  • iA Financial: While a “stamped school document” is a part of their criteria, the University of Alberta Verification of Enrolment document will fulfill their requirements since our documents are considered an official document. 
  • Children’s Education Fund (CEF) 
For instructions on how to access your Verification of Enrolment Document, please visit our webpage.


Where and when can I see my Fee Assessment?

For Fall/Winter registrations, student-specific online fee assessments are available in late July. The fee assessments are located in Bear Tracks under Financials > Fee Assessment

When and how do I pay my tuition?

Payment options

There are several payment options available; these options can vary depending on what type of student you are and what type of fee or deposit you are paying. For a detailed breakdown, please see the Deadlines and Payment Instructions page on the Admissions & Programs website. 

Once processed, payments applied to your account can be viewed in BearTracks under "Financials" by clicking on "Account Details" and selecting the correct term. Please note that payments can take several business days to process.


Payment deadlines

Payment deadlines for tuition fees and other types of fees and deposits are outlined in the Academic Schedule in the University Calendar (scroll down to see the Fall and Winter terms). Key dates and deadlines for each term are also published on the Registrar’s Office website.

I am an international student, how can I pay my tuition?

We have three options for international students to pay their tuition from outside of Canada: Convera, PayMyTuition, and credit card. You can learn more about each option here.

What happens if my student loan payment isn’t received until after the tuition payment deadline?

If a student loan delay causes you to miss the term tuition payment deadline, you normally won't be penalized as long as the loan payment pays the total term tuition amount owed and the payment is received less than a month after the term tuition payment deadline.

Overdue tuition payments do not affect your current registration, so you will still be able to continue in your classes. However, a few days after the tuition payment deadline, you will see a financial hold placed on your account that prevents you from adding new classes, getting transcripts, or receiving your diploma if you are graduating. Tuition and fees more than a month overdue will accumulate interest.

For more information, please visit the Financial Services FAQ website.

What is an installment charge?

If you wait until the Winter term payment deadline to pay your Winter tuition fees, you will be assessed a $40 Installment Charge. You can avoid paying this charge by paying for both your Fall and Winter tuition fees by the Fall term payment deadline. You will not be charged an installment fee for your Winter mandatory non-instructional fees as long as you paid all your other tuition & fees in the fall.


If you have additional questions or experience difficulties in making your payments, please view our Frequently Asked Questions or contact Financial Services for assistance.
When can I opt-out of my SU Health and Dental plan?

You may choose to opt out of one or both of these plans or change your coverage through Studentcare, the benefits provider’s website. To log in, type “University of Alberta” in the field provided, and select the undergraduate option. On the next page, select “Opt Outs” from the Coverage menu on the right hand side of the screen.

  • Students who begin their studies in the Fall term must opt out of, or change their coverage during the Fall Change-of-Coverage Period (September 1 to September 28, 2023).
  • Students who begin their studies in the Winter term must opt out of, or change their coverage during the Winter Change-of-Coverage Period (January 3 - January 24, 2024).
I have opted out of my SU Health and Dental, when can I get the refund?

If you fully opt out of your SU Health and Dental, you will see the fee adjustment on your Bear Tracks.

When you opt out of your SU Health and Dental, you have the option to opt out of just a portion of the fee. Ensure you have received the confirmation email from Student Care (after opting-out) which will illustrate the details of your plan and how you will be reimbursed.

If you choose this route, you will not see an adjustment in your fees assessment on Bear Tracks. You are expected to pay your tuition and fees in full to the university and you are then reimbursed by Student Care after the Change-of Coverage Period.

Can I opt out of my Non Instructional fees?

There are some fees (SU dedicated fees and Health & Dental plan) that you may be able to opt out of. 

For information on how to change coverage, including opting out of the plan by the Fall Term deadline, or how to enroll if you are a new Winter Term student, please visit

Additional information about non-instructional fees and opt-out processes can be found here.
Can I appeal the Mandatory Non-Instructional fees that I have been assessed?

No, mandatory non-instructional fees cannot be appealed. These fees are approved by the Board of Governors. There are some fees (SU dedicated fees and Health & Dental plan) that you may be able to opt out of. 

Information about non-instructional fees can be found here.


Can I defer my admission to Fall 2024?

If you are unable to begin your studies, you may be eligible to request a deferral of your offer of admission. Deferrals are not guaranteed and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Not all faculties/programs will accept a deferral of admission request.

In order to be considered for a deferral of admission, you must:

  • have a final admission offer
  • accept your offer of admission
  • pay the non-refundable tuition deposit

To request a Deferral of Admission, contact the Student Service Centre. If your faculty/program will accept deferral requests, a form will be added to your Launchpad account.

If approved, the deferral of admission will also include a deferral of your residence offer (if applicable), though any scholarship offers will be cancelled.

If you wish to defer admission to Winter 2024, you must contact your faculty to see if this will be allowed. This may not be an option for many faculties as the University of Alberta typically admits students to the Fall term. Please see our Colleges + Faculties webpage for contact information for your faculty.

How do I apply to an Undergraduate Degree program?
Please see our Undergraduate Admissions page for full details about how to apply to programs at the University of Alberta. Applications for most fall 2024 undergraduate programs will open on October 1, 2023.
I am a current High School student and my application was denied, what do I do now?

Your application will be reassessed upon review of your final and official transcripts at the end of your Grade 12 year.

Can I still submit course and grade updates for my application?

The deadline to submit updated courses and marks was April 30. That deadline has now passed, which means we are no longer able to accept self-reported course and mark updates.

Your application will now be evaluated upon receipt of your final, official transcript.

Please note that if you have received an offer of admission you are not required to submit additional course grade updates. We will complete a final evaluation of your application once we have received your final and official transcripts. Be sure to review the conditions of admission as outlined in your admission offer on Launchpad.

Please see our Undergraduate Admissions Website - Submit Updates for more information.

Am I able to submit more than one application to the University of Alberta?
You are welcome to submit and pay for as many applications (with unique program choices) as you would like to be considered.  Each application is evaluated independent of the other.  If you receive an offer to programs on two different applications, you will need to make a decision on which program you would like to accept by the acceptance deadline.
Why can’t I upload documents to my Launchpad account?

If you have received an offer of admission or have completed your studies, you can not upload documents. Please see our Solution in the Student Service Portal for more details.

My application says "Not Complete" on ApplyAlberta. Did you receive my application?

Please note that your application status in ApplyAlberta will continue to say "not complete" as your application status is not updated there. Make sure to refer to your UAlberta Launchpad for application status updates and for information about documents that may be required!

If you have not received your Temporary PIN to log in to Launchpad, please contact the Student Service Centre, and we can resend it to the email address you have used to create your application.

How can I reset my Launchpad PIN?

If you have not received your temporary PIN or want to get your PIN reset, contact us through the Student Service Portal using your personal email on file or your UAlberta email address. We will resend the PIN to you. 

If you have forgotten your Launchpad password, you can reset it by clicking on the “Reset Password” button on the UAlberta Launchpad login page.
How can I accept my offer and pay the tuition deposit?

You can accept your admission offer in your UAlberta Launchpad portal. Once you log in to your status page, click on “Reply to Offer of Admission”, then select "I ACCEPT my offer of admission to the University of Alberta" and click submit. 

If you are a new applicant to the university, you may also need to pay a non-refundable tuition deposit as part of the offer acceptance process. In order to make a payment through Launchpad, go back to your status page and click on "Submit Payment". For more payment options, please take a look at the Tuition Deposit Payment page.


You must accept your offer and pay the tuition deposit by the deadline, otherwise, your offer may be revoked. 

Please note that even after you have accepted your offer, you will still be required to meet any conditions stated in your offer letter. Otherwise, your offer may be revoked. For more information, see your offer letter, which you can view in  your Launchpad status page by clicking on "View Update."

What is the deadline to accept my admission offer?
May 1, 2023, is the deadline to accept admission offers made before April 1 for most undergraduate programs; however, admission evaluations are done on a rolling basis. If you receive an offer after April 1, view this page for deadline information. Your offer acceptance deadline can be found in your Launchpad.
What are the payment options for tuition deposit?

You can accept your admission offer in your UAlberta Launchpad portal. Once you log in to your status page, click on “Reply to Offer of Admission”, then select "I ACCEPT my offer of admission to the University of Alberta" and click submit. 

 If you are a new applicant to the university, you may also need to pay a non-refundable tuition deposit as part of the offer acceptance process. In order to make a payment through Launchpad, go back to your status page and click on "Submit Payment".

Payment in Launpad is via  credit card. Please note that credit card payments include a convenience fee of 2.5%. This fee is collected by our payment processor, at the time of payment, in addition to the tuition deposit. For more payment options, please take a look at the Tuition Deposit Payment page.

You can make the payment through your online banking by following these steps:

  • Access your bank website and sign in.
  • Add ‘University of Alberta' as a payee on your bill payment profile
  • Use your SEVEN DIGIT STUDENT ID NUMBER, then the FIRST FOUR LETTERS OF YOUR LAST NAME as your account number. If your last name has less than four letters, please use your first name to complete the four letters. For example, John Xu = 1234567XUJO
  • Enter the amount to be paid and the date on which you would like to pay.
  • Complete the transaction as if you were paying a utility bill.

Please note that it can take up to 14 business days for the payment to be reflected on both BearTracks and the Launchpad portal.


You must accept your offer and pay the tuition deposit by the deadline, otherwise, your offer may be revoked. You can find information about your tuition deposit deadline on the Accept your Offer page.

Please note that even after you have accepted your offer, you will still be required to meet any conditions stated in your offer letter. Otherwise, your offer may be revoked. For more information, see your offer letter, which you can view in your Launchpad status page by clicking on "View Update". 

When will I receive my final offer of admission?

If you have received your offer of admission with conditions and we are waiting for and/or currently reviewing your final High School transcript, please note that we will evaluate the final transcript to ensure that you meet the conditions of your offer. The timeline can vary based on when we receive your final transcript. You may expect a decision anytime from now until closer to the beginning of the term.

We anticipate a large amount of transcripts coming at the same time for each province. As soon as the decision is made, you will see the update on UAlberta Launchpad. Please continue to check your account for updates.

How do I reset my CCID?

If you need to reset your CCID password, please visit the Information Services and Technology website. You must first enrol in the Self Service Password Reset function to add an alternate email/phone number, after which you will be able to reset your password using the Reset Your Password option.

Reset your CCID Password

Where do I check my application status? When will I receive a decision?

After you have submitted your application, you will have access to the UAlberta Launchpad portal to check your application status and review any checklist items for your program. If your application states that it’s pending review, then that means an advisor is currently reviewing your application. Launchpad is the first place that any updates will be posted. You will be notified by email when there are updates posted. If we require any further information or documents, we will contact you directly. 

Please note that we are unable to give you an application evaluation update or a specific timeline by email, live chat or phone. Admissions offers are released on a rolling basis, as evaluations are completed.

Do I need to submit my final and official documents through mail?

Depending on what type of student you are, your transcripts may be sent to the university automatically, or you may need to arrange to have them sent. We may accept copies uploaded to your Launchpad account. If you have completed your schooling, or already have an offer of admission, you will not have an option to upload documents to your Launchpad and instead must arrange to have your official documents submitted to the University of Alberta on your behalf. Please see Transcript submission process for more information.

We currently are still receiving and processing documents received by mail, but your institution can also send transcripts to us at We can only accept documents submitted by an institution in that account therefore if you have other documents to provide us for your application, please upload them through your Launchpad. Alberta high schools participating in ApplyAlberta will automatically send your official transcript to the University of Alberta at the end of the school year.  If you are a current Alberta high school student, we do not need your Alberta high school transcripts any earlier and you do not need to send these through MyPass. Please monitor your Launchpad status.

Can I apply for Open Studies?

Open Studies is a part-time student classification that allows students to take courses for credit without pursuing a degree program. The only requirement for admission to Open Studies is English Language Proficiency. This requirement is outlined in the University Calendar. The deadline to submit documents is the same as the application deadline for the term. A non-refundable and non-transferable application fee of $125 is required for new applicants.

Applications for admission to Open Studies are accepted each term. Deadlines are published in the U of A Calendar.

  • Winter Term: December 15
  • Spring Term: April 30
  • Summer Term: June 30
  • Fall Term: Aug 25

After submitting an application for Open Studies, students will receive email notifications at their UAlberta email account from the Office of the Registrar regarding their application. Visit Open Studies for more information.


Why does my application say that I am a Foreign National?

Because our application system is a US product, if you have selected Canadian Citizen under your citizenship status, it will show up as Foreign National once you submit your application, as this is a system default.

We can see on our end that you are a Canadian Citizen, so this won't affect your application or evaluation in any way and you don't need to correct or update anything.

I listed that I have a degree/diploma on my application, but now it says “no degree awarded or expected.” How do I fix this?

Please note that your application proof may indicate "no degree awarded or expected" under your academic history, even though you have indicated that you have already received a degree or will be receiving one on your application form. This is a system error that will not affect your application or evaluation in any way, as we will use your application form, transcripts, and other documents for your evaluation.

Student Financial Support (loans, bursaries, awards)

How do I apply for Scholarships and Awards?

All awards administered through the Office of the Registrar are listed on our website. You can visit Scholarships and Awards to find out which awards are available and determine your eligibility, as well as important deadlines.

If you would like to apply for an entrance-based scholarship, you must submit and pay for an application to the University of Alberta in order to be considered for University of Alberta scholarships.

For more information regarding bursaries and other financial supports, please visit:

Financial Assistance - how to apply for loans

The Student Service Centre can assist you with your loan application and advise you on how to manage your loans and pay for your education. Check out our website here for details.

Student loans are administered by the provincial and federal governments. When you apply for your provincial loans, you will be simultaneously assessed for federal funding.

Student loans are interest-free and payment-free during the period of study, followed by a six-month grace period. 

Part-time student loans require using the paper application form from Student Aid Alberta. Once your loan application is complete, you will need to get Page 3 of the form signed by Student Service Centre, or the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research if you are a graduate student. Once the application is complete, you will need to send it to Student Aid Alberta.

More information on how to apply for loans can be found on our web page.

Can I apply for grants only?

Some provinces/territories may allow you to apply for grant funding without taking out a student loan. If you are applying for Alberta Financial Aid and would like to apply for grant funding only, please watch our instructional video here or talk to your provincial loan borrower for more information.

I am having trouble logging into my Alberta Student Aid application.

To access the Alberta Student Loan application you will need to create and verify an account through My Alberta Digital ID (MADI). If you are having issues setting up a MADI account or logging in, please contact the MADI helpdesk at

How do I answer the question on the Alberta Student Loan that asks: "Are you enrolled in a correspondence/e-learning/distance study program?"
If you are applying for a student loan through Alberta Student Aid, you will answer this question "No" even if some or all of your classes will be delivered online this Winter.
Student loan borrowers from other provinces should check with their province about how to report this on their student loan application.
How do I answer the question on the Alberta Student Loan that asks: "Expected Reduced Yearly Income?"

You will only answer this question if you estimate that your income for 2023 will be less than it was for 2022. This question is a way to recognize that you may not have the same income while you're in school as you did last year. If you expect your income to be the same or higher just leave this question blank.

Do not include the CESB/CERB in your estimation of the Expected Reduced Income for yourself, parents or spouse.

My student loan money hasn't come in yet.

If you have applied for Alberta Student Loans, please ensure that you check your application on your Student Aid Alberta portal to identify any possible discrepancies along with your registration. If you cannot identify any discrepancies, please use our contact form and one of our advisors can assist you.

If you have applied for an Out of Province loan, please contact Financial Services at for further assistance.

How do I apply for Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships?

The deadline for our Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships closed on January 11, 2023.  However, we also offer admission-based scholarships that you don't even have to apply for! You will be evaluated for these admission scholarships when you apply for admission. Your eligibility will be based on your high school admission average at the time of your admission offer. 

Please note that you will need your CCID (Campus Computing ID) which is created several days after you have successfully submitted your application to the university.

When will I hear back about my Application Based Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship Application?

All Application-Based Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship awards have already been offered! If you have received an award offer for the undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, you must accept the award by the indicated deadline on Bear Tracks. There will be no extensions to the accept deadline indicated on Bear Tracks. 

Awards will be issued on a rolling basis, and all students who applied for Application Based scholarships will be notified of the results of the competition. 

How do I apply for Undergraduate Continuing Scholarships as a current student?
Applying for undergraduate awards has never been easier with the new Awards Hub. Students can use the Awards Hub to complete award applications, submit references (when required) and manage award offers in one place. For support navigating the new platform, visit our reference guide, available in English and French. The application period for the 2023-24 academic year closed on March 31, 2023. Applications for the 2024-25 academic year will open on January 15, 2024.
I have accepted my scholarship/award offers. When will I receive my money?

If you have any outstanding tuition fees, your award payments will be applied directly to your tuition balance first.  If you are registered full time in both terms, the value of your awards will be split in half, with 50 per cent of the award applied to your tuition account for the Fall Term and the other 50 per cent applied to your tuition account for the Winter Term. Students will start seeing your awards as “Payments Received” after the Add/Drop deadline has passed. 

I have submitted an External Funding cheque to be applied to my tuition, have you received the cheque?

It can take a few weeks for an external funding cheque to be applied to your account.  Please check your Account Details in your Bear Tracks.  If it has been more than a month since the cheque has been sent to the University, please confirm with the funder to see if the cheque has been processed/cashed. If you have confirmed that the cheque has been mailed to the correct address at the University, please contact the Student Service Centre.


Do I need a statutory declaration if I was sick and missed an exam or class assignment, or am sick and unable to participate in a class assignment or exam delivered remotely?

No. Please notify your instructor of your absence by email. Statutory declarations are not currently required for missed exams or class assignments related to illness. 

Please take care of yourself. Get medical assistance if you need it. Unless you need to visit your doctor, you should stay home until you are well enough to resume normal activities. For more information, please see What to do when you are sick (students).

I have questions specific to my academic program, who should I talk to?

If you are an Open Studies student, the Student Service Centre can assist you. For graduate academic program questions, please contact your department. For undergraduate academic program questions, please contact your Faculty Student Services office. The things they can help with include:

  • Program / Degree planning and checklists
  • Course selection / registration
  • Declaring / Changing major
  • Academic Standing
  • Academic Appeals
  • Exams - Deferred and Re-exam
  • Transfer Credit
  • Document requests (Letter of Permission, Letter of Completion, Certificate application)
  • Graduation Requirements
  • Letter of Expected Graduation Date
  • Internships/Co-ops
  • Career Advising

Continuing Education

I am a new student. How can I register for a Continuing Education course?

To secure a spot in your course(s):

  • Have an active CCID? You can complete the enrolment online in Bear Tracks — just make sure you proceed to the online credit card payment page to complete the transaction. Missed the payment page? No worries! Just hang tight for 30 minutes and the system will reset itself so you can retry your enrollment again. Please do not use the Make A Payment options in Bear Tracks.
  • Don't have a CCID yet? Sign into our Non-Degree Continuing Education Call Back queue at and we'll complete your registration and payment by phone. This will complete your student profile setup and issue a CCID for future online registrations. The Student Services Centre is available by phone to help you during our business hours.
  • Are you a University staff member looking to use HRDF for Extension courses? Please email us a course registration form — HRDF is not currently a payment option on our online checkout.

If you have any questions about courses, tuition payment options, or any program offered in the Faculty of Extension, we’d be happy to connect with you and provide answers or advice.

I want to register for a Continuing Education course, and my organization will pay for it. How can I register and set up the payment?

We can certainly invoice organizations for course fees. We require:

  1. A course registration form completed and signed by the student
  2. A Letter of Authorization on company letterhead or a Purchase Order that includes the student’s name(s), course name(s) and date(s), fees, and the printed name and written signature of an official with signing authority (not the student). The letter must state that the University of Alberta is authorized to invoice for payment.

Alternatively, if your organization does not already have a standard letter of authorization or purchase order that they would like to use, you can submit a Financial Guarantee for Invoicing Form. The forms can be submitted via our contact form.

We also encourage you to review our Withdrawal, Refund, and Transfer Policies and Procedures for Third Party Billing/Sponsorships.
I am an international student and I want to take a few Continuing Education courses. Can I apply for study permit?

Unfortunately, Continuing Education certificates, citations, and diploma programs are non-credit part-time programs and are not eligible for a Canadian study permit. You are more than welcome to take any course or program that is part of an online delivery from your respective country.

If you are an international student, we strongly recommend that you contact U of A International at prior to applying at the University of Alberta.


When will I receive my room offer for residence?

If you applied for residence for the Fall term, the first round of room offers will be sent out in late May. Room offers will continue to be made throughout the summer. Please continue to monitor your ualberta email and your Residence Account for updates. For more information, please visit the Residence website.

I did not apply to live in residence when I applied for admission to the University of Alberta, can I still apply to live in residence?

Yes, to apply for Residence, log into your Residence Account with your CCID and complete the Residence Application. Pay the $25 non-refundable application fee by credit card and submit your application.