The University of Alberta's Student Awards Office awards over $25 million in academic scholarships and financial awards to students each year, including several entrance awards to high school graduates who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement.
Thanks to generous individual donors and our partners in industry, the Department of Chemistry awards numerous scholarships each year. Please note that the recipients of these awards are selected by the department and application is not necessary.
- Gold Medal in Chemistry: Awarded to the graduating student from the Honors or Specialization program who obtains the highest average in all the courses credited towards the degree over 4 years.
- Society of Chemical Industry Merit Award: This student must have the highest standing in the final year of their course work, a minimum average of 75% and have completed the course in the normal number of years (Honors or Specialization).
- Canadian Society for Chemistryy Prize: Awarded to the student who obtains the highest standing in the work of third year Honors chemistry ($200, medal, and certificate).
- Herbert E. Morris Scholarship: Awarded to a student of outstanding merit entering their final year of the Honors or Specialization program.
- Mar Prize in Inorganic Chemistry: Awarded to a student with superior academic achievement in CHEM 241 entering third or fourth year Honors or Specialization in chemistry. Preference is given to a student who has demonstrated an interest in inorganic chemistry.
- Guardian Chemicals Scholarship in Chemistry: Awarded to a student with superior academic achievement entering third or fourth year Honors or Specialization Chemistry that, amongst the students who are not recipients of a major award, has the best average the preceding year.
- Gilead Sciences Prize in Carbohydrate Chemistry: Awarded to a student with superior academic achievement entering third or fourth years Honors or Specialization Chemistry who has achieved the highest average in CHEM 363. Recipients will be selected on the basis of academic standing in CHEM 363, and preference will be given to a student who has indicated an interest in carbohydrate chemistry.
- Gilead Sciences Undergraduate Scholarship in Organic Chemistry: Awarded to a student with superior academic achievement entering second year Honors or Specialization, who has demonstrated a continuing interest in organic chemistry. Award is renewable for a further two years provided the student maintains first class standing.
- Reuben Benjamin Sandin Achievement Scholarships: Awarded to two students of first class standing proceeding into second, third or fourth year of Honors or Specialization, who have the best average the preceding year, and are not a recipient of a major award.
- Bryce Reikie Undergraduate Scholarship in Chemistry: Awarded to a student with superior academic achievement entering the second, third, or fourth year of Honors or Specialization based on academic standing.
- Lehman Prize: Awarded to the student making the best record in CHEM 102 provided such student's record is otherwise satisfactory to the Faculty Council.
- CRC Chemical Handbook Awards: Awarded to the top Honors Chemistry student in CHEM 102.
- Fred H. Irwin Memorial Prize: Awarded to the student with the best record in CHEM 361-363.
- American Chemical Society Analytical Chemistry Award: Awarded for outstanding achievement in analytical chemistry, for students entering fourth year.
- Lloyd and Margaret Cooley Memorial Studentship in Analytical Chemistry: Awarded annually to female students with satisfactory academic standing, who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, enrolled in the second, third, or fourth year of a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, employed in a laboratory at the University of Alberta, and researching any analytical chemistry problem. Two recipients will be selected each year on the basis of academic standing ($1000 per award).
- Physical Chemistry Book Prize: Awarded for outstanding achievement to a student taking both CHEM 271 and CHEM 273 in the same academic year.
- Chemistry Students Association Scholarships: One scholarship is awarded to the most active member and one scholarship is awarded to the applicant member with the highest GPA ($150 each).
- AstraZeneca Undergraduate Scholarship: Awarded once every three years to a student with superior academic achievement entering their fourth year of studies in Honors or Specialization Chemistry in the Faculty of Science [other years it is awarded in Biology and Pharmacology]. Recipient will be chosen on the basis of academic standing. In the event that a suitable candidate cannot be found in Chemistry for a particular year, this award may be given to a student in either Honors or Specialization Biology and Pharmacology ($4,000).
- Dynatec Award in Chemistry: Awarded annually to a student with satisfactory academic standing entering the third or fourth year of a Chemistry program in the Faculty of Science. Recipient will be selected on the basis of academic standing ($1,000).