Complaints of Sexual Violence

The University's response to a disclosure will, to the extent possible, be guided by the wishes of the person who experienced the sexual violence. In this regard, in response to a disclosure, the person who experienced sexual violence can ask the University to provide supports and resources, facilitate academic, residential, recreation and/or work modifications, consider the imposition of interim measures, and initiate an investigation of a complaint in accordance with the procedures in applicable agreements or policies.

The following is a general guideline for making a complaint of sexual violence.


Student Staff* Faculty* Postdoctoral Fellow* Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant1


Anyone NASA members, students, postdoctoral fellows Students, AASUA members, postdoctoral fellows, public Anyone Anyone


Code of Student Behaviour NASA Collective Agreement, Article 18 (Discrimination & Harassment Complaints) AASUA Collective Agreement, Article 16 (Discipline) Postdoctoral Fellow Discipline Procedure Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement, Article 23

Complaint to:

Protective Services Intake Officer Faculty and Staff Relations Vice-President (Research) Appointing Officer, as defined in the Collective Agreement


Protective Services Managed by HRS and investigator agreed upon by the University and NASA Appointed investigator agreed upon by University and AASUA Appointed by Vice-President (Research) Protective Services

Decision by:

Discipline Officer Employer Provost Vice-President (Research) Appointing Officer, as defined in the Collective Agreement

Advice from:

Office of the Student Ombuds, Protective Services, Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights, Human Resource Services partners Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights PDFA, Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights Graduate Students Association, Office of the Student Ombuds, Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights

Faculty also includes APO, FSO, Librarian, Trust/Research, Academic Teaching Staff, Temporary Administrative and Professional Staff

* Collective Agreement subject to change

1 Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement to be used only when the person under allegation was acting in their capacity as a TA or RA. Code of Student Behaviour applies in all other cases. Collective Agreement and COSB may be used concurrently where appropriate.

Unknown employment/student status

If you don't know the employment/student status of the person who engaged in sexual violence, you can contact any of the following:

Best contact methods

An email to the appropriate office saying you would like to make a complaint is a good place to start. You will then receive direction on the next steps.

Complaints to the University and/or police

A complaint to the police is an option always open to people who have experienced sexual violence. You can choose to do so (or not to do so) on your own time. When you make a complaint at the University, you will also be advised of other options, such as going to the police, but we would not advise you to go to the police first if you were not ready to do so. It is also fine to make a complaint to the police before making at complaint at the University.

Anonymous reporting

  • Students, staff, and faculty may choose to make an anonymous report through the Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights using their Online Reporting Tool.
  • Students and employees can complete an anonymous third-party report at the Sexual Assault Centre. The name of the reporter will be kept confidential at the Sexual Assault Centre, and the report goes to Edmonton Police Service (EPS).