Network Connectivity Services

Information is key and our top priority is your ease of access. From wireless access available university-wide to remote access through our Virtual Private Network (VPN) services, we have you covered.

Get connected and get moving. eduroam is the secure, world-wide roaming access service for faculty, staff and students that was developed for the international research and education community.

Connect to eduroam

VPN connects you to university resources through a remote and secure connection. Whether you're travelling or at home, connect to the university as if you never left.

Access the VPN

Wireless Internet Access


eduroam (education roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community.

eduroam allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions by simply opening their laptop. Further, the City of Edmonton has also deployed eduroam services at many of their facilities offering you the ability to be online in many places across the city (or world) using the same wireless network and credentials.

Connect to eduroam »



UWS has been the standard wireless service for members of the university community for several years. Moving into the future, the university will be transitioning from UWS to eduroam to improve service consistency for the community whether users are on-campus, moving through other learning institutions around the world, or even at City of Edmonton locations. For new device setups and connections please refer to the documentation for eduroam to connect to wireless. Existing UWS configurations will continue to function until a transition completion date is set and communicated.

Connect to UWS »


Remote and Off Campus Access

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

VPN connects you to university resources through a remote and secure connection. Whether you're travelling or at home, connect to the university as if you never left. VPN should be used anytime you are not at the university but need to connect to university resources.

Access the VPN »

Add/Remove User Request »


Wired Network Access

Contact IST for the following requests:

Port/Wall Jack Installation Request

Request a new wired network port/wall jack.

Port/Wall Jack Not Working

Request support for a broken wired network port/wall jack.

Port/Wall Jack Settings (Activate, Change)

Use for when connecting a new device to a wired network port/wall jack or when the network requirements for the connected device change.

Networking Standards

With Networking Standards, contractors can plan renovation and construction jobs accordingly. Find information on wireless networking and cabling standards for telecommunications at the University of Alberta on our IT Professionals page. For further inquires, contact the Staff Service Centre.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I connect to eduroam?

If you’re joining us from another university, or working away from the University of Alberta, eduroam provides Internet access for students and staff visiting participating partner institutions globally.

Connect to eduroam »

Where can I find locations to connect to eduroam?

eduroam has a map available to find locations of places you can connect. For mobile devices, use their companion app to discover where eduroam is available.

How do I report a poor wireless connection?

If you’re having trouble connecting to any of our wireless options, please contact us.
You will need to provide some information about your issue including a description (CCID being used, error messages, when the issue occurs), the device(s) you are using (type, operating system, MAC address) and the location experiencing the issues (building and room).

I have both eduroam and UWS in my area. Which should I use?
The university is moving towards making eduroam the default wireless network for all faculty, staff and students and as such, it should be used as the primary wifi network while you are on one of the U of A’s campuses. You may continue to use UWS if you use it for special scenarios (such as some administrative staff). As both eduroam and UWS utilize the same back-end infrastructure, they do not have any differences in performance or access restrictions.
What do I do if I’m having trouble connecting to wireless in my residence room?

Contact Resident Internet Support at if you're having troubles with Internet connection in your residence room.

What is Guest@UA?

If you’re a university visitor and don’t have a CCID, use our Guest@UA free wireless connection to check email, participate in conferences or browse the web.

Note: This is a limited resource and is not intended for those with a CCID. Learn more »

What do I do if there is a loose cable or face plate in my work space?
If any network equipment such as cables, face plates, outlets or metal plates appear loose or broken, contact the Staff Service Centre as soon as possible.