For Host Supervisors

UAlberta faculty members and staff are welcome to contact UAlberta International at for more information.

Application Process

Please refer to the How to Apply instructions for details.

Have you been asked to provide a Letter of invitation for a research candidate? Please see below:

  • Letter of invitation from the Canadian supervisor: applications for  graduate  students must include a letter from the Canadian supervisor indicating their willingness to support and mentor the candidate. This letter must be on institutional letterhead, be in English or in French, be signed and demonstrate the support for the candidate during the exchange period and demonstrate how the Canadian institution, supervisor and peers will benefit (maximum one page).
  • View and download the Letter of Invitation Template here
  • In addition to this letter, the student candidate is responsible for collecting and submitting the required application documents to UAI through our electronic application form by the relevant deadline.

Results, Invitation & Host Supervisor Responsibilities

  • Global Affairs Canada requires the Canadian institutions to provide a ranked list of applicants. Host professors who provide support for more than 1 applicant will be asked to rank their applicants. 
  • UAI will notify Host Supervisors and Candidates of the competition results.
  • UAI will guide the successful candidate(s) and their host supervisor(s) through the invitation and immigration application process.
  • UAI will initiate the invitation process with Immigration Services on the behalf of the Host Supervisor
  • UAI will complete the campus registration process including the creation of a guest CCID, payment of the ONEcard fee and submission of the Person of Interest (POI) eform
  • UAI will handle the scholarship payment process
  • Candidates will normally be invited as Research Award Recipients and must obtain a work permit for stays of more than 120 calendar days, or apply for a visitor visa with a Global Skills Strategy Short-term (120 day) work permit exemption for researchers; see Immigration Services . Exceptions: Students coming under an undergraduate or graduate exchange agreement will only be required to obtain a study permit.
  • The appropriate student category for invitation will be determined after nomination/application.
  • Candidate's studies or research may commence as early as August 1 but no later than February 1.