Those who wish to attend classes on a purely informational basis can apply to audit courses. The complete set of policies for Auditors can be found in the University Calendar.
How to apply to audit a course
- Complete the Course Audit form (PDF). You can also pick up a paper copy of the form from Student Connect.
- Obtain the approval and signature from the instructor, advisor, and/or faculty representative as required.
- Submit the completed form to Student Connect (or the FGSR Office, if currently registered in a graduate program) by the appropriate deadline as indicated in the Academic Schedule.
Your application will be reviewed and it will then be determined if space in the course exists. If so, your registration will be approved and a fee assessment will be provided. Because space in many classes is limited, auditors are not permitted to register in courses which are at capacity.
Course Audit forms are accepted during the registration dates specific to the term. Please refer to the Audit Registration dates provided for each term (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer) in the Academic Schedule. Audit forms will not be accepted outside of the specified dates.
Since final permission to audit a course cannot be given until all students registered for credit have been accommodated, registrations for auditors are delayed.
Tuition for audited courses is exactly one half of the amount that is assessed for credit courses. Fees are subject to change from year to year, and faculty-specific program fees and fee differentials may also apply. Visit Costs, Tuition, and Fees for more information.
Eligibility and deadlines
- If you are an Open Studies student wishing to audit a course, you will require permission from the Office of the Registrar.
- Students in the Fresh Start program and the Exceptional Athletes program are not permitted to audit courses.
- Courses in the School of Business are not available for auditing.
- Students may not re-register for audit more than once in any university course in which they have received a grade of W (withdrawal) or failing grade, except for reasons deemed sufficient by the dean (or designate) of the faculty in which they are enrolled.
- To change from credit to audit (if you have already registered in the course for credit), you will need to complete the Course Audit form and obtain the approval (and signature) of the instructor and faculty.
Additional information and regulations
- Auditor-only students are issued a CCID and given access to Bear Tracks and a university email account; however, students auditing courses cannot use Bear Tracks to register.
- Auditor-only students are not issued a ONECard. Auditors may purchase a ONECard ($15) for identification purposes, but no services will be associated with that card.
- Auditor-only students do not have access to Students’ Union membership, Athletic and Recreation Services, or Health Services.
- Auditor-only students can request library privileges by contacting Circulation Services in the Cameron Library.
- Auditors can access eClass (WebCT) with instructor permission.
- Audited courses will appear on your University of Alberta transcript, but you will not receive credit for these courses.
- The regular withdrawal procedures and deadlines apply to audited courses. For more information see Registration Dates and Deadlines.