Consult a Physician about Mental Health Support

Our mental health is not static and changes throughout our lifetime, relationships, starting a new job, moving to a new city, or the pressure to succeed can all impact mental health (both positively and negatively). It is important to know that how you are feeling now won’t be how you feel forever. The University Health Centre is here to support your mental health, whatever that means to you. 

Physicians and your mental health

Anxious, overwhelmed, and depressed thoughts can affect your physical health as much as your emotional wellbeing. Physicians at the UHC are well-prepared to support your whole health journey.

Meeting with a physician to discuss your mental health can be a great first step to understanding your thoughts and feelings, diagnosing your mental illness, getting a referral to a mental health professional, or starting medication, if that is what is right for you. 

Mental Health Consultant

The UHC is part of the Edmonton O-day'min Primary Care Network (EOPCN), this allows patients of the UHC to book appointments with one of their registered mental health social workers (RSW), who is available to meet with you for free. 

Our RSW can offer assistance to help you: 

  • Improve your overall emotional and mental wellbeing
  • Adjust to family or lifestyle changes and transitions
  • Cope with stress, anxiety, or depression
  • Discuss relationships and spiritual or personal concerns

If you are interested in booking with our RSW, talk to your physician about getting a referral


If you decide you would like to speak to a mental health clinician outside the clinic, your physician can refer you. Our clinic works closely with the clinicians at Counselling and Clinical Services, Wellness Supports Social Workers, as well as other mental health practices in the city.  

Finding someone supportive and trustworthy is an important step on the road to improving your mental health, whether that is a doctor, counsellor, or psychiatrist, we are here to support your journey. 

For more information on mental health services offered to students at the University of Alberta, click here

Additional Resources

The EOPCN offers several mental health classes on topics such as anger, grief, insomnia, and more.  You can find a list of these classes here. Most of them are free, open to anyone, and require no referral. A few require referrals from an EOPCN family doctor so feel free to see one of the physicians at the UHC and ask specifically for a referral if you think a program would benefit you.  

There are more mental health classes being run in Edmonton by other Edmonton PCN's that are open to anyone. Find the list here.  

Undergraduate students have access to additional resources through their Studentcare plan and Empower Me

Graduate students have access to additional resources through the GSA Health Insurance Plan and the Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP). 

Employees enrolled in the university’s benefits plan have access to the Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP) at no cost. 


Employees, Students


Health Wellness

Provost Provost