Gender-Affirming Care

U of A Commitment to Accessibility, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

At the University of Alberta we are dedicated to achieving a more diverse, equitable, accessible, and inclusive environment for all who work, learn, and live within our community - an environment characterized by a fundamental shared commitment to respectful engagement and human dignity. We value academic freedom, and welcome and support a diversity of perspectives.

Supporting Social Transition & Connection at the University of Alberta

The Landing is a student space for gender and sexual diversity. From 12-4 Monday to Thursday, they provide a drop-in hang out space both in person in 0-68A SUB or on Discord where they also provide one-on-one peer support sessions. 

In their physical space they also have a lending library, tons of resources, and free safer sex supplies! Starting in October, they will also be running their regularly scheduled programs like spACE (for asexual and aromantic folks), Trans Meetup, Drop-in DnD, and Queer Media Collective. Visit their linktree for more info.

Names and Pronouns

It is important to note that the UHC does NOT share information with Beartracks or the Office of the Registrar. If you make a change in our Electronic Medical Records (EMR), it will not be reflected in Beartracks and vice versa! 

At the UHC

If you would like to change your name or pronouns as a patient, in our EMR system (only the UHC has access to this information), please let one of our staff members know the next time you are in the clinic. We are more than happy to update your file! 

*a note on updating your gender marker at the UHC*

Due to restrictions with Alberta Health Services (healthcare coverage, billing, etc.), we must have gender marked in our medical record as it appears on your healthcare card. 

We recognize that the gender marked on an official document is not always reflective of how you identify, and the process to change these documents can be expensive and time consuming. For our administration the gender marker on your healthcare card will become your “administrative gender”, and you can provide your lived gender for your file. Your lived gender is how we will refer to you moving forward! 

At the University of Alberta

You can also change your name and pronouns through the University of Alberta (Office of the Registrar, beartracks, eclass, etc.). Information on changing your name as a student can be found here

Need help changing your name or gender marker? 

The Trans ID clinic has you covered! Student Legal Services (SLS) is a group of volunteer law students from the University of Alberta who provide free legal information and assistance. The Trans ID Clinic can assist all Edmonton-area residents over the age of 18 seeking to change their names and gender markers, regardless of their income levels. 

Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy 

We recognize that the process of starting gender-affirming hormones can feel all sorts of ways – exciting, scary, joyous, uncertain, and sometimes several of these things together. The team at the University Health Centre is here to support you on your journey to initiating hormone replacement therapy (HRT). 

To get started with HRT, call the University Health Centre to request the drop-in hours of Dr. Durand and Dr. Mortera, or check the calendar on our main webpage

If you have been to the clinic before you may also request to book an appointment through Medeo. 

*please note new patients must drop-in to the clinic first* 

What to Expect

To help manage expectations throughout the process, here are some helpful reminders if you are considering gender-affirming hormones: 

  • Hormones are not a cure all
  • Hormones will not be prescribed at the first visit 
  • Physical changes take time 
  • Some changes are reversible while others are not 
  • Most of the hormones are covered by the student plan
  • We are here for you if you initiate hormones AND if you don’t! 

Read more about what to expect with estrogen here

Read more about what to expect with testosterone here.
Initial Visit
A short pre-visit where you will express an interest in HRT. At this time, your physician will talk about the three step process to start you on HRT that will occur over your next three visits.
Second Visit (Step One)
Get to know your provider and time for your provider to get to know you! Discuss your health history, experience of gender, goals related to gender-affirmation; discuss potential risks/benefits of gender-affirming hormones as part of the informed consent approach.
Third Visit (Step Two)
Now that you’ve had a chance to get to know one another, this appointment will focus more specifically on HRT, going over the HRT consent process, and how hormones affect fertility and your use of contraception.
Fourth Visit (Step Three)
A continuation of your previous appointments, possible initiation of hormone therapy, how to take hormones, and how HRT is monitored.

Gender-Affirming Surgeries 

Only you can decide if surgery is right for you. TransCare BC offers a comprehensive web page on gender-affirming surgeries including; surgery considerations, and information on upper and lower body surgeries. Find TransCare BC's resources »

Dr. Durand and Dr. Mortera can help provide guidance through the gender-affirming surgery process.

It is important to keep in mind that in Alberta: 

  • Wait times for surgery can be long.
  • Government coverage for gender-affirming surgeries is limited.
  • Some surgeries will have to be done out of the province.

Read more about gender-affirming surgeries in Alberta »

Changing Speech & Voice Training 

One aspect of social transition is changing speech, and some individuals may pursue voice and communication training to align more closely with their gender. 

In Alberta, voice and speech training is available through the Glenrose Rehab Hospital’s Voice Clinic by physician referral. 

The Landing has partnered with OUTspoken Voice Services, a team of Edmonton-based Speech-Language Pathologists providing trans/non-binary voice services to remove some of the barriers to accessing gender-affirming voice services in Edmonton. OUTspoken Voice Services will be coming to campus to offer low-cost, group-based, voice and communication training for students! Check with the Landing for more details.

Coverage for Speech Therapists is available, and OUTspoken Voice Services can provide receipts for reimbursement. Students are encouraged to check their coverage through studentcare.

Gender-Affirming Mental Health Resources on Campus 

The Landing

The Landing is a student space for gender and sexual diversity. Request 1:1 peer support appointments, visit their drop-in space, and join their discord! 

First Peoples’ House (FPH)

Contact FPH to speak to an Elder and/or meet with a wellness worker. 

Sexual Assault Centre 

The U of A Sexual Assault Centre (UASAC) provides drop-in crisis intervention support to survivors of sexual violence and their supporters, as well as comprehensive educational workshops for the campus community. We actively work towards creating a campus community free of sexual violence and operate from a feminist, anti-oppressive, intersectional, trauma-informed, and person-centered framework.

University Health Centre

Meet with a physician to discuss your mental health, all of our physicians are supportive of your journey. Ask for referrals to off-campus resources, or get a referral to our registered mental health social worker. 

Wellness Supports: Social Worker Support

Wellness Support social workers are a team of registered social workers who are happy to meet with you to discuss your mental health and help you navigate systems/processes throughout your gender journey.


How do I get started with hormones?
Your first step is to walk-in to the University Health Centre when Dr. Durand or Dr. Mortera are accepting drop-ins, check the UHC’s main webpage for a live calendar of physician availability.
How much do hormones cost?
Most of the hormones are covered by your student health plan. We encourage you to check your coverage at
Who can give me a referral for top surgery?
Dr. Durand or Dr. Mortera can refer you for top surgery!
Who can give me a referral for bottom surgery?
Dr. Durand or Dr. Mortera can start the referral process for bottom surgery. Currently, a patient interested in bottom surgery will need to be referred to two psychiatrists for assessment before a referral for bottom surgery will be accepted.
How long is the wait for gender affirming surgeries?
The wait times vary depending on which surgery you are interested in. Generally they are from 1-5+ years, but the UHC encourages you to speak to your physicians about questions regarding wait times, expectations, and referral requirements.
How do I change my name on Bear Tracks, eClass, etc?

For more detailed information on changing your name at the UHC, and on your IDs please reference the section above. 

Information on changing your name as a student (Bear Tracks, eClass, etc.) can be found here.
What if my prof does or says something homophobic or transphobic?
You have a right to live and learn at the UofA without fear of discrimination and harrassment. We encourage you to reach out the Office of Safe Disclosure & Human Rights, and disclose any discrimination you have faced from a prof, staff member, or students. Their processes are completely confidential and here to support you.
Are there support groups/spaces for trans and non-binary students on campus?
Yes! The Landing offers support for gender and sexual diversity at the University of Alberta. Some of their programming includes; one-to-one support, Trans Meet Up, and a welcoming discord server. Check their website for more details.