Can I have a single room?

For the 2021-22 academic year, all rooms will be assigned (and charged) as single rooms.

Every year we set aside a small number of rooms for students that have a permanent disability with an identified need for special accommodation. The reasons can be anything from a medical accommodation to mental health issues. Students needing single rooms as a special accommodation must register with our Student Accessibility Resources Office.

Student Accessibility Resources website

Will I have a roommate?

For the 2021-22 academic year, all rooms will be assigned (and charged) as single rooms.

When will I know who my roommate is?

Not applicable for 2021-22, as all rooms are assigned (and charged) as single rooms.

If you and a friend both requested each other, you will be placed together as roommates. If you didn't have a specific roommate request, we don't automatically inform you who your roommate is. You can e-mail augustana.residences@ualberta.ca to request your roommate information.

If your roommate has granted permission, we can release their name and UAlberta e-mail address. Requests for roommate information must be received by August

Can I have a guest in my room?

Yes, but on a limited basis. You can have a guest in your room for no more than 4 days in a row, and for no more than 10 days in total for each semester.

If you have a roommate, you need permission from your roommate to have the guest stay in the room.

Also, if you are in the First Year Residence, you need to register your guest with your RA in order to receive a guest pass. Without the guest pass, your guest will not be allowed past check-point. Hosts are responsible for the conduct of their guest at all times, and will be held accountable if the guest is in violation of the community standards.

How do I report a maintenance concern with my room?

Report the concern to your RA who will communicate your concern to Facilities and Operations. Facilities and Operations will receive the request and then prioritize the issue relative to other concerns on campus. If the matter has not been addressed within a reasonable time, follow-up with your RA.

What appliances can I bring?

To comply with health and sanitation requirements, basic food preparation and cooking in student rooms is not permitted. Coffee pots and popcorn poppers may be used in your room. Refrigerators must state that they are rated at 3.5 Amps or less. All refrigerators must be checked and approved by residence staff.

Personal or consumer-sized microwave ovens (rated under six Amps or 700 watts) are permitted in student rooms, but their use must be limited to the warming of pre-packaged, microwavable food items (This is not to be construed as an alternative to Food Services which remains the sole source of basic meals for students residing on campus).

Toaster ovens, convection ovens or heating elements are not allowed. Small kitchens are provided in each residence to enable students to prepare special meals or to do baking.

What size fridge will fit in my room?

The measurement under the desk (the best place your fridge will fit) is 69.5 cm or 27.5 inches.

When I'm filling out my residence application, it shows the wrong faculty.
That's okay. The information is comes from by Bear Tracks and may take time to be updated. It will not affect your residence application in any way.
Can I arrive early?

We are not always able to accommodate early arrivals.  Please contact us at augres@ualberta.ca to discuss your particular circumstances.

Tourism Camrose maintains a list of of possible accommodations in Camrose: http://tourismcamrose.com/business-categories/accomodations/

What do I do if I'm arriving later?
Please view our Move-In page for information.
Can I opt-out of the meal plan?

The meal plan is mandatory for all students living in residence. Our residences are not equipped for students to prepare their own meals.

What do I do if I applied to the wrong residence?

If you have applied to the wrong residence, please contact both housing@ualberta.ca and augres@ualberta.ca so that we can assist you.

When will I get my Room Offer?

Room offers are not sent until students have paid their $500 tuition deposit and fully registered in courses. If you think that you have done both of those things, please follow up with your Admissions Advisor to see if anything is missing. You can e-mail them at: augustana@ualberta.ca.

I have submitted my residence confirmation and have also paid the Residence Deposit. However I have not been assigned a room as of yet. When will I be assigned a room?
The fact that you've received a room offer means that you were assigned a room. You will be given your room number when you arrive on campus.
I won't be here for the 3 week term; do I still have to pay for my rent and meal plan for that period of time?

Returning students who are not on campus during the Fall Semester 3 week term may apply for a pro-ration on their meal plan only.

The deadline to apply for the pro-ration is August 1. Contact us at augres@ualberta.ca to advise us of your arrival date.

Pro-rations are only available up to the first day of the 11 week term. All meal plans will begin billing by that date, or earlier if you arrive earlier.

Once you begin taking meals in the dining hall, your pro-ration will end.

Pro-rations are not available for your residence room. We are holding your room during that period and you are welcome to drop off belongings during the three week period Remember if you start taking meals then your billing for the meal plan will begin.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Your room will have a:

  • twin bed
  • closet or wardrobe space
  • study table & chair
  • study lamp, and
  • shelves.

You will need to bring your own bedding, toiletries and any other personal items you wish to bring. Our recommendation is you wait until you move in, check with your roommate and then decide how you want to set up your room. This can be a great opportunity to do something with your roommate.

Can I bring my own bed?

Your room comes with a twin bed. While you may want to bring your own bed, waterbeds are prohibited. Augustana does not have space to store beds that are removed from rooms, therefore, any resident who moves the Augustana bed out of their room runs the risk of that bed being damaged or stolen - a cost passed on to the resident.

I never received my security deposit refund.
Since 2020, students no longer pay a security or damage deposit. The Residence Deposit that is paid is simply a pre-payment of a portion of your residence fees. It is applied to your residence fees upon move-in.
Can I consume alcohol in residence?

Possession and consumption of alcohol will be permitted in personal and private spaces.  Consumption does not require an approval process however the following restrictions apply:

  • no glass beer bottles, cooler bottles, or spirit bottles less than 750 ml. 750 ml or greater glass wine or spirit bottles are permitted.
  • drinking games are not permitted.
  • Kegs of any size are not permitted.
  • open alcohol in common spaces is not permitted (eg you are not permitted to go room to room with open alcohol).
  • noise or other negative effects related to the consumption of alcohol will be dealt with according to the community standards.
Events with alcohol service are permitted in designated common spaces provided the event has been approved through the Alcohol Event Booking Procedure.
Can I smoke, consume, or produce cannabis marijuana products on campus?
We support a harm reduction strategy based on education about risks rather than prohibition.

  • Smoking and vaping of cannabis products inside residence buildings is not permitted.
  • Smoking and vaping of cannabis is permitted in the plaza behind the library and at the Gazebo over by Solheim Hall.
  • Growing cannabis plants in any university building (other than in approved research) is not permitted. This includes residences.
  • Smoking and vaping of cannabis products is not permitted at university events.
  • Sales, advertising, branding and sponsorship of cannabis products on university campuses or at university events is not permitted.
  • Manufacturing infused cannabis oil in residence is not permitted.