Apply for Admission

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on '+' to expand information.

  • Application Deadlines

    Q: What are the application deadlines?

    A: Deadlines for domestic and international applications are different, and are set by departments, please consult the appropriate department.  

    Q: I might miss the application deadline; can I have an extension?

    A: Please consult with the appropriate department.

  • Application Fees

    Q: I used my credit card to pay the application fee on the secure payment screen. But, when I return to my online application it still indicates that I should “make payment”.  What should I do?

    A: As soon as your payment is processed you should receive an email receipt. This receipt is confirmation that your payment has been processed, and you do not need to do anything more. Your application will be automatically updated to reflect your payment.

    Q: What are the payment options for the application fee?

    A: Our online payment system accepts only VISA or MasterCard. 

    Q: I do not have a credit card to pay the application fee. What can I do?

    A: Anyone can pay the application fee on your behalf.  Under the Declaration and Payment section, select “A third party will pay on my behalf” as your payment option. You will then be directed to enter the third party’s name and email address under the Request section of your application. An email will then be sent to the third party, requesting them to make the online payment on your behalf. Once they make payment they will receive an email credit-card receipt and you will receive an email indicating that they have completed your request.

    Q: I'm eligible for a fee waiver. How do I apply?  Will I have to pay the application fee if I submit my application online?

    A: The application fee is waived if your mailing address and citizenship is located in the world's 50 least developed countries, as declared by the United Nations. If you are eligible for an application fee waiver, you do not need to apply for it. The application system will recognize your eligibility for a waived fee based on the information you provide. You will not be asked for a fee when you complete the online application.

    Q: How much is the application fee?

    A: A $100 CAD application fee is required. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

    For more information regarding payment instructions please Click here.
  • Application Status

    Q: I have logged into the system to complete my application or check the status of my application. Why is my application no longer there?

    A:  If you created an account for the online Application system with a personal email account (prior to receiving your UAlberta CCID) you must log in to the system using this email address in order to access applications that were created using that account. (Do not use your UAlberta CCID and Password).  


    Also, once you have submitted your application, the system does not provide updates on the status of your application. You will only receive an email notifying you if your application has been accepted or denied.

    Q: I checked Bear Tracks and it indicates that my application has been initiated, but I have already submitted and paid for my application.

    A: The graduate program application process is not published in Bear Tracks. Within the online Application system (ApplyGrad) you can only track your application’s status to the point that it is submitted and paid. Once your application is submitted and paid for, you will not receive status updates until you are notified by email if your application is accepted or denied. Additionally, if the program requires further information from you, you will be contacted through email.  

    Q: How do I know if the department (program) has everything they need from me?

    A: The department will notify you through email if there is outstanding or additional documentation they require to process your application. If you are offered admission, the Offer of Admission Letter you receive via email will outline all official documentation that must be received, as well as the deadline for submitting those documents. Your Offer of Admission will be conditional upon the receipt of your official documents.

    Q: How do I monitor the status of my Application?

    A: Application status is not published in the ApplyGRAD system or in Bear Tracks. The university will notify you when an admission decision has been reached.

    Q: When will I receive my admission results?

    A: The university will notify you through email when an admission decision has been reached.  For urgent queries regarding an admission decision, please contact the appropriate department.

  • Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) Preliminary Applications

    Q: What is my ECE/CEE preliminary application number?

    A: For information on the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) preliminary  application process, please refer to their website here.

                  For information on the Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) preliminary application process, please refer to their website
  • Electronic Signature

    Q: When I try to sign the Declaration Statement, the system will not accept my Electronic Signature?  What am I doing wrong?

    A: Your electronic signature needs to be entered exactly as shown within the quotation marks on the Declaration and Payment screen. If the name shown is not correct this means you entered your name incorrectly when you initially created your account on the system.  Please click on “Edit Profile” at the top right of the screen.  Correct the name entered and return to your application and sign the Declaration Statement.  

    If you continue to have problems please contact

  • English Language Proficiency (ELP)

    Q: Where should I have ELP exam results sent?

    A: Your Offer of Admission instructions on where to send your documents and the associated deadlines for submission.

    Q: Is my ELP score high enough?

    A: Please consult our website for the minimum scores accepted for the approved English Language Proficiency Exams.


    Q: I did my undergrad at “X” university,  do I have to provide an ELP?

    A:  ELP exemptions are made for applicants with international qualifications based on both the institution and the country where post-secondary instruction was taken.  Refer to ELP exemptions.

    Q: What is the University of Alberta’s Institutional code?

    A: The University of Alberta’s Institutional code is 0963.

  • Reference Requests

    Q: My referee says the link in the referee email does not work.  What can I do?

    A: The most common reasons for a link in the referee email not working are:

      1. The applicant named an alternate referee and changed the referee's contact information within the application.  In this case, please let your referee know that you have chosen a different referee.
      2. The application deadline has passed.  In this case, please contact the appropriate department.

    If these do not apply to your application, please contact

    Q: Can I submit my application before all my references have been submitted?

    A: Yes. You may submit your application prior to the ApplyGrad Portal receiving all of your references.  However, please make sure your referees have sufficient time to respond prior to the application deadline. If references are not submitted by the deadline, your application will not be complete.

    Q: Can I resend a referee request?

    A: Yes you can resend a reference request at anytime until you submit your application.  However, once you have submitted your application, you will need to ask the department to re-open your application in order to resend the reference request.

  • Uploading Documents

    Q: How do I upload an updated document after I have submitted my application?

    A: If your application has been submitted there is no need to upload new documents, unless the department requests additional information.

    Q: When and where do I send my official documents, once I have been sent an Offer of Admission?

    A: If you receive an Offer of Admission from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, you must then request that your official transcripts and degree certificates (if applicable) be mailed from the relevant institution, directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) for authentication purposes. The complete mailing address is: Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, Killam Centre for Advanced Studies, 2-29 Triffo Hall, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E1.

    Q: What is the difference between unofficial and official documents?

    A: Unofficial documents are scanned or photocopied documents of official transcripts, mark-sheets, and degree certificates - these are required for your application and are provided electronically.

    Official documents are original or an attested true copy, in a sealed and endorsed envelope mailed directly from your post-secondary institution and are required for authentication purposes - these are required if you receive an Offer of Admission from the University of Alberta, and must be sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, Killam Centre for Advanced Studies, 2-29 Triffo Hall, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E1.


    Q: I have two or more degrees from a single post-secondary institution. How do I upload these transcripts?

    A: You are required to complete a separate Educational entry under the Educational Info section for each degree. You will need to enter the name of the post-secondary institution for each degree you received (for example: one for your Bachelor’s degree and one for your Master’s degree, even if they are from the same institution). You will then need to upload transcripts and degree certificates (if applicable) for each entry.

    Q: I have applied previously and provided documents at that time. Can my old documents be used for my new application?

    A: No.  A full set of current supporting documents must be uploaded for each application.

    Q: I am having trouble uploading my documents. What can I do?

    A: Documents must be in PDF format and the upload field can only support one document. If the required document that you are uploading is multiple pages and saved as different files, then it needs to be combined into one PDF document.  The maximum size per file is 10 MB.  You may be able to reduce the file size by lowering the resolution of the PDF file and any images the file contains.  Additionally, system performance while uploading documents may be impacted by the quality of your internet connection.


    If you need guidance in converting documents to PDF, please Click here.

  • Username and Password
    Q: When will I receive my UAlberta CCID (Campus Community ID) and associated Password?

    A: Your CCID and password combination will be emailed to you within three days after you have submitted your application and paid the application fee.  The email with your CCID information will be sent to the email address you entered when you first created your account for the online application system.

    Q: I did not receive an email with my UAlberta CCID (Campus Community ID) and Password.  Who do I contact?

    A: The email containing your CCID and associated password will be sent to the email address you entered when you first created your account for the online application system.  Set the permissions on your email account so that it accepts correspondence from and check that the email has not been moved to your junk or spam folder.  If you do not see it there then you will need to contact the UAlberta Information Services and Technology (IST) department. Please refer to for further information.

If your question is still not answered, send an email to

Please provide clear details of the issue you’re experiencing, along with your complete contact information.