Support Staff Personal Spending Account

The Personal Spending Account (PSA) can be used to cover the cost of personal wellness related expenses.

Eligible support staff receive $1,250 to divide between their Health Spending Account (HSA) and their Personal Spending Account (PSA).

Fund allocation for support staff

Each fall starting in October, support staff are instructed to divide their $1,250 between their HSA and PSA for the following year. If a staff member takes no action, returns from a leave or is hired after the open enrollment dates, the default amount of $1,000 for HSA and $250 for PSA will be allocated for the calendar year. This amount is not prorated.

Allocate your 2023 accounts

Eligible Expenses

Education and Personal Development
  • Tuition fees for university, college or continuing education (includes books and supplies)
  • Language training
  • Tutoring
  • Professional membership fees or dues
  • Fees associated with maintaining a professional designation
  • Hobby and general interest classes
  • Personal computer (e.g., desktop or laptop) and accessories, including internet access fees
  • Mobile PDA devices (e.g., cell phone, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry)
Fitness equipment
  • Durable equipment such as treadmills, exercise bikes and universal gym
  • Skates, roller blades, bicycles, specialized athletic footwear, tennis racquets, golf clubs, safety helmets and specialized sports equipment (excludes running shoes)
  • Fitness club memberships
Fitness-related services
  • Registration fees for fitness-related programs or lessons, (e.g., aerobic classes, dance lessons)
  • Sports team memberships and registration fees
  • Annual memberships (e.g., golf)
  • Court fees, green fees, ski passes, lift tickets and race registrations
  • Personal trainers, fitness consultants, lifestyle consultants and exercise physiologists
Green living
  • Coverage for monthly transit passes
Health-related services
  • Weight management programs (excluding food)
  • Smoking cessation programs
  • Nutrition programs and counselling
  • Maternity services (prenatal classes and services of a certified Doula)
  • Services of alternative health practitioners (e.g., reflexologist, iridologist, herbalist, homeopath, athletic therapist, Chinese medical practitioner, Shiatsu therapist)
  • Stress management programs
  • Cholesterol and hypertension screening
  • First aid and CPR training
  • Health assessments
  • Vitamins and supplements, including herbal products
  • Other alternative wellness services: Reiki, Ayurvedic medicine, touch therapy, Rolfing and light therapy
Insurance premiums
  • Insurance premiums paid for Critical Illness, Life Insurance and Long Term Care
Work-life balance
  • Child Care expenses
  • Elder Care expenses

How to submit a claim

Direct billing from your PSA is not available. Make a claim to Sun Life using the Personal Spending Account Claim Form.

Keep copies of your original receipts for 12 months in case you need to submit them.

Claims deadline

Expenses must be submitted for reimbursement by March 31 of the year following the year the expense was incurred to be eligible for payment.

Managing Your Personal Spending Account

You can view the status and balance of your PSA using the Sun Life Member Services website or mobile app. The policy number for the PSA is 150434 and your employee number is your University ID.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the plan year for my PSA?
The plan year for the PSA is the calendar year.
Does my balance carry forward into the following year?
No. Unused amounts in your PSA at the end of the calendar year are forfeited.
Are expenses incurred from my dependent eligible?
No. Only expenses incurred for the employee are eligible for PSA claims.
Do I still get the full PSA benefit if my employment ends before the calendar year?
Yes, you are still eligible for the full amount. However, your expenses must be incurred during the term of your employment with the U of A. Expenses must be submitted for reimbursement by March 31 of the year following the year the expense was incurred to be eligible for payment.
Are my reimbursements subject to income tax?
Yes. PSA reimbursements are subject to income tax as required by the Canada Revenue Agency. After your claim is approved and reimbursed to you, Sun Life reports the amount of the reimbursement to Human Resource Services, who will apply the applicable tax deduction to an upcoming paycheque.
Other questions?
Contact the Sun Life Customer Care Centre for prompt answers to any questions you might have about your PSA at 1-800-361-6212. Further information about the Personal Spending Account is available through Member Services on the Sun Life website.