It is the student’s responsibility to read all instructions and be familiar with the application process before applying. Students’ Departments are not required to nominate them to FGSR for university review.
2021 CIHR Doctoral Memo to Departments and Students
1. Students are to complete a full application by following CIHR Doctoral Research Awards – Application instructions and submit through the CIHR online application system, ResearchNet.
2. Students must submit their complete application (including the sponsors’ assessment and other attached documents as described under Doctoral Research Awards – Application instructions) through ResearchNet by the institutional deadline of October 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm MST. It is highly recommended that students submit their application well ahead of the institutional deadline. Late applications will not be accepted. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to
follow up with sponsors to ensure the assessments are submitted prior to
the deadline date and therefore ensure the application completeness.
• Institutions are permitted to recommend an unlimited number of self-identified Indigenous applicants to the CIHR CGSD Program above our application quota. Applicants who would like to self-identify as Indigenous to be considered beyond the institutions quota must complete the Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarship Doctoral Awards (CGS D): Voluntary Self-Identification Form and must be uploaded in ResearchNet.
• It is the students’ responsibility to submit all up-to-date official transcripts (this includes all undergraduate and graduate studies, completed or ongoing) online through CIHR ResearchNet. This includes obtaining official University of Alberta transcripts (must show current Fall 2020 registration). FGSR does not provide copies of transcripts held on file at FGSR.
• FGSR (institution) signature is not required on the signature pages at the time of application.
• Submission of an application does not mean it has been forwarded to the national CIHR competition. All eligible applications will be shared with the Graduate Scholarship Committee (GSC) adjudicators for review.
• Only completed applications will be reviewed. Changes cannot be made after the application has been submitted.
Please visit the CIHR Doctoral Award website for complete application instructions and other helpful links.