Students must complete their applications using NSERC’s On-line Services, and must notify their Department of their intention to apply. If Departments require a copy of their students’ applications for internal adjudication purposes, students must provide this directly to their Department. FGSR does not provide copies of students’ applications to Departments.
It is student’s responsibility to submit any required official, up-to-date transcripts to their Department by the Departmental deadline. University of Alberta transcripts are not required. If FGSR has up-to-date official transcripts required for their NSERC application on file (example: submitted and all conditions cleared for Admissions purposes), applicants are not required to re-submit them.
NSERC On-line Services Transcript Submission and Timelines
It is the responsibility of the Department to inform students of the name and contact information of our U of A designate. Students are to contact their Department for information.
1. Once students complete their application section and the letters of reference have been submitted, students must click “verify” only. At this time, students will not be able to click “submit” as FGSR will still need to upload their Transcripts at a later date.
2. Following the application/Department submission deadline of October 15, FGSR will then review students’ applications for eligibility and completeness based on the list provided by Departments.
3. Mid-November, FGSR will upload students’ transcripts in the portal and will send a notification email to the departments so that they may advise their students that all transcripts have been uploaded, and that students can click “submit”.
4. Results of the NSERC competition at the University level will be shared to Departments. Only those students who’ve been nominated to NSERC will receive a notification email from FGSR that they have been forwarded to the national competition level. Unsuccessful students will be notified via the NSERC portal.
5. Final NSERC doctoral results are expected to be announced in April 2019.