There is no separate application form or process for the CGS-D program. The highest-ranked PGS-D applicants will automatically be considered by NSERC for a CGS-D. It is the student’s responsibility to read all instructions and be familiar with the application process before applying.
1. Students must complete their applications using NSERC’s On-line Services, and must notify their Department of their intention to apply. If Departments require a copy of their students’ applications for internal adjudication purposes, students must provide this directly to their Department. FGSR does not provide copies of students’ applications to Departments.
2. Once students complete their application section and the letters of reference have been submitted, students must click “verify” only. At this time, students will not be able to click “submit” as FGSR (the University designate) will still need to upload their Transcripts at a later date. Only students nominated by their Department will have their transcripts uploaded.
3. By the Department internal deadline:
- Students are to print a copy of their application from the On-line system, and submit to the receiving Department for internal adjudication purposes. As referees are required to submit a confidential online form, letters are not available to students. If academic reference letters are required for Department internal adjudication purposes, Departments must contact the referee directly to obtain a copy. FGSR will not provide copies of students’ applications or reference letters to Departments or to students.
- It is the students’ responsibility to submit any required official, up-to-date transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies to their Department by the Departmental deadline. Students are to refer to NSERC’s Transcripts or proof of registration for transcript requirement guidelines (ex. definition of up-to-date; ALL postsecondary coursework undertaken, etc). If FGSR has up-to-date official transcripts required for their NSERC application on file (example: submitted and all conditions cleared for Admissions purposes), applicants are not required to re-submit them. If students have not yet submitted the required up-to-date official transcripts to FGSR, Departments are requested to collect them from their students and submit them to FGSR by the nomination deadline.
- University of Alberta transcripts are not required – FGSR will provide copies for those students nominated by the Department.
4. Departments are to email an alphabetical list of their nominated students to FGSR by 4 PM on October 3, 2019. Students who apply to this competition, but are not included on the Department’s nomination list will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the Department to inform their nominated students the name and contact information of our U of A designate in order for FGSR to upload student transcripts. Students are to contact their Department directly for information.
5. Following the Department nomination submission deadline of October 3, FGSR will then review students’ applications for eligibility and completeness based on the list provided by Departments.
6. Early November: FGSR will upload students’ transcripts in NSERC’s On-line Services portal. Departments are to advise their students that all transcripts have been uploaded and that students can click “submit” in their on-line application. FGSR will send a notification email to Departments when transcripts are uploaded.
7. Mid – end November: Results of the NSERC competition at the University level will be shared to Departments. Only those students who’ve been nominated to NSERC will receive a notification email from FGSR that they have been forwarded to the national competition level. Unsuccessful students will be notified via the NSERC portal.
8. Final NSERC doctoral results are expected to be announced in April 2020.