• Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Must have completed or expect to complete a degree in science or engineering (other fields may be considered at NSERC's discretion)
• Must intend to pursue, in the following year, a full-time doctoral program for which you are requesting funding as of December 31st, 2018
• If you were a direct entry from a bachelor's program to a doctoral program, you must have completed between four and 36 months of studies in the doctoral program for which you are requesting funds as of December 31st, 2018
New for the 2019 Competition:
1. First-class average in each of the last two years of completed study is no longer an eligibility criterion. Universities will recommend the top-ranked applications to NSERC.
2. Joint programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD) are eligible, provided they have a significant research component.
For complete eligibility requirements, please visit the NSERC Website.