Students must use the SSHRC Web-based Forms and must print, sign and submit the completed application to their department by their internal deadline. Students are to check with their Department for information and may view the 2019 SSHRC Memo to Departments (under Nomination Procedures) for additional details.
A complete application must include the following materials; refer to SSHRC’s Application for a Doctoral Award Instructions (Web) for complete details (available with the Web-based Form). Note that digital signatures cannot be accepted:
• Application checklist (mandatory to print out)
• Completed application form (completed, printed, and signed by student)
• Program of Study (two pages maximum, plus bibliography - five pages maximum)
• Bibliography and Citations - (five pages maximum)
• Research Contributions (one page maximum)
• Supplement and/or Joint or Special Initiative Justifications (if applicable, maximum one page per justification)
• Allowable Inclusions (if applicable, maximum one page)
• Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure FGSR has all official up-to-date hard copy transcripts, including but not limited to transcripts from institutions at which students took only a few courses, and transcripts for partially completed degrees. If a student is unsure which transcripts are with FGSR, they must provide FGSR with their student ID number and a list of transcripts they wish confirmed. If FGSR has the official up-to-date transcripts, these transcripts do not need to be submitted again. FGSR will generate a U of A transcript.
• Two Letters of Appraisal (completed, printed, and signed by referees using the web-based form)
• Departmental Appraisal (completed, printed, signed, and submitted by the Department)
• Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information form (completed, printed, and signed by student)
New this year, applications from self-identified Indigenous applicants may be considered for submission beyond the University’s quota. Indigenous applicants who would like their application considered for submission beyond their institution’s quota are asked to select the “Option for Self-Identified Indigenous Applicants” in the “Identification” section of the online application form. Once completed, this information will be displayed on Page 1 of the application form. The FGSR will follow the regular selection process in place for the review of applications and submit applications deemed meritorious by the university's selection committees to the national competition.
NOTE: Applications involving Indigenous research count towards the University’s quota unless the applicant has also selected the option to have their application considered for submission beyond their institution’s quota.