Application for graduate admission
Students must complete the online application for graduate admission. This form is for both Canadian and international applicants.
You must upload the following documentation with your application:
- Official Transcripts
Scan and upload official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (both in English and the language of origin, if applicable). The original documents must then be sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research once your admission to the university has been confirmed.
- Official Degree Certificates
Scan and upload official degree certificates from all post-secondary institutions (both in English and the language of origin, if applicable). The original documents must then be sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research once your admission to the university has been confirmed.
- English Language Proficiency Scores
English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Alberta (except for the Faculté Saint-Jean); proficiency in English is a prerequisite for graduate admission. All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to admission either by:
- Possession of a degree or its academic equivalent from an institution recognized by the University of Alberta, in which the language of instruction is English; or
- A satisfactory score on an approved English language proficiency examination as described by the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research.
If the language of instruction of a previous degree was not English, applicants are required to enter their English Language Proficiency test results into the application and also scan and upload the score sheet. The original score sheet must be sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Two Letters of Reference
Provide email addresses for 2 references. The application system will send electronic reference requests when an email address is provided for each reference. The references must be received electronically. Your references should be from a professor, teacher or employer.
* UofA Residents are required to submit a letter of support from their Program Director
- Statement of Interest
In one to two pages, summarize your background, your interest in our program, and your career goals.
- Letter from Supervisor
Provide a letter from your prospective University of Alberta supervisor indicating that they agree to be your supervisor and describe the sources of funding for your stipend and research program.
*If you are a current UAlberta staff member please review section 5.22 of the Grad Program Manual for additional information on supervisor eligibility.
- Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee of $100 (CDN) is required to apply. Only major credit cards (VISA or MasterCard) are accepted.
All of the components described above must be completed in order to submit an application.
**INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED**
|| April 1
|| February 1
|| April 1
* Please plan your application with sufficient time to allow supporting documentation to arrive by the deadline date.
After you apply
- The Graduate Advisor will contact you upon receipt of your application.
- The University of Alberta’s Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research (FGSR) office will contact you directly to inform you of your acceptance.