Cancellation Policy

For all residences except Augustana:

Residence Application and Room Offer

  1. Every residence application MUST be accompanied by the non-refundable $25 residence application fee.
  2. A room offer will be sent by email to your University of Alberta email address - you must add "" to your email safe list.
  3. The official date of the room offer is the sent date of the email NOT the date that the room offer is received.
  4. You will be required to pay a $500 Residence Deposit to accept your room offer and hold your space. The Residence Deposit will be applied to your first month’s rent.

If you are no longer interested in living in residence at the University of Alberta, please cancel your residence application immediately. If you'd like to change your application to another residence, visit the Incoming Residents page to learn more.

Canceling after you pay your deposit

Refunds will be provided if applications are cancelled before the deadline.

Application term Cancellation deadline
Winter 2024 December 10, 2023
Fall 2024 July 31, 2024

Frequently asked questions

How do I cancel my application?

Send an email from your UAlberta email account to with your full name and reason for canceling.

I wasn't accepted to the University of Alberta. Am I eligible for a refund of my Residence Deposit?

You must inform Residence Services within 10 days of your notification with a copy of your non-admittance notice (email or hard copy) to be eligible for a refund of the $500 Residence Deposit.

If I am an International Student and my Visa Application is denied, am I eligible for a refund of my Residence Deposit?

If you notify Residence Services in writing (email or hard copy) within 10 days of your notification with a copy of your visa refusal letter AND before your residence move-in date, you will be eligible for a refund of your $500 Residence Deposit.

If I cancel my application after picking up my keys, what happens?

If you or your proxy picks up your keys, then your contract has started. If you decide not to live in residence after that time, you must submit a Notice to Vacate form. Please see our Move Out page for more details on moving out of residence.