Certificates of Insurance

A certificate of insurance provides evidence of the levels of insurance that an organization carries. It provides evidence that coverage in force complies with the requirements of the requesting organization. Certificates may be requested by the University from off-campus organizations or other organizations may request a certificate from the University.

Certificates requested by the University

Where required, third parties (e.g., contractors, subcontractors, service providers, tenants) will be requested to submit a certificate of insurance to demonstrate compliance with the insurance requirements specified in contracts or agreements. Sometimes, individuals or groups may wish to use University facilities or premises for their own activities that are not sanctioned or sponsored by the University, consisting of various social, cultural and intellectual activities such as lectures, sports activities, field rentals, conferences, films, shows, seminars, workshops and meetings etc. In this case, the other party will be required to provide the University with a certificate of insurance with the following minimum limits and conditions:

  • Commercial general liability: $2,000,000 for bodily injury and/or property damage per occurrence, adding "The Governors of The University of Alberta" as an additional insured
  • Automobile Liability (where applicable): $1,000,000 third party liability per occurrence

Certificates requested by third parties

Departments and faculties may be requested to provide a certificate of insurance to other parties in connection with University tasks, activities or off campus events/function etc.

If you require a Certificate of Insurance for a third party, please submit the request to the Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment at least two weeks before the event via our online Certificate of Insurance Request Form. Please note that if you have an Agreement, Proposal, or Certificate Request Form that relates to the Certificate of Insurance Request please email us a scanned copy either using the email option at the end of the form or by emailing separately to ERM10@ualberta.ca (please include a reference to the Certificate of Insurance Request Activity).

Request a Certificate