Insurance FAQs

Automobile Insurance

Q. Am I eligible to rent a vehicle from the University fleet?

A. To determine your eligibility, visit Transportation Services - Driver Authorization.

Q. What if I am renting a vehicle off-campus through Budget?

A. The requirements for renting a vehicle off-campus (through Budget, etc.) can be found on the Rental Vehicle Insurance page.

Q. What if I need a vehicle but don't have the time to complete the requirements because I am leaving on a trip outside the province?

A. If you anticipate driving on behalf of the University at some point in the future, arrangements for finalizing the requirements should be made in advance. The options are to use a credit card providing car rental coverage or pay for the Collision Damage Waiver or other insurance at time of rental. This expense would have to be absorbed by the authorizing department. More information is available on the Rental Vehicle Insurance page.

Q. Will I be covered by University insurance if I drive my own personal vehicle on University business and I am involved in an accident?

A. No. Your personal automobile insurance policy is considered primary and would respond to any claims arising from accidents regardless of the fact that it was on University business. The University insurance policies do not provide coverage for personally owned vehicles.

Q. If I use my personal vehicle for University business, do I need to notify my broker or insurance company?

A. Yes. If you are using your vehicle for University business, particularly if it is more than on an infrequent basis, your vehicle would need to be "rated" for business use. What this means is that the insurance company needs to collect the correct premium for the use of the vehicle. Otherwise, the insurance company may say that you have misrepresented the use of the vehicle.

Q. I plan on renting a vehicle from the University Transportation Services and need information on driver requirements, rates, etc. Where can I get this information?

A. Just check these links for additional information:

Q. I just had an automobile accident. What is the deductible?

A. The deductible is $2,500.

Please note that the stipulated deductibles are maximum amounts assessed against the department. If damages are less, you are only charged the lesser amount.

Property Insurance

Q. We just had some University property stolen. What do we do? Are there forms to complete?

A. Please see our Claims page and follow the three steps for reporting the theft of University property. Once you have submitted the details using our claim form our claims manager, Canadian Claim Services, will provide you with the necessary guidance for what documentation will be required to adjust the claim.

Q. I am using my own personal laptop for university business. Will I be covered if it is stolen or damaged?

A. No. The University does not provide any insurance coverage for personal property. Please note that your own personal policy (homeowner's) may also have restrictions of coverage for business use of property that is off your premises (check with your insurer).

Q. Our department just had a computer stolen. How much is the deductible?

A. The deductible is $2,500.

Proof of Insurance

Q. We have been asked to obtain proof of insurance or a "Certificate of Insurance" for a student who is doing a placement or some other activity. How do I go about getting this document?

A. All the information that you need can be obtained here: Certificates of Insurance.

Student Groups

Q. We were approached by an outside Society to become a student chapter. How will this affect our group status regarding insurance?

A. You have to find out if the Society has its own insurance and whether that insurance will extend to cover the student chapter. If your group is participating in any events or functions that are affiliated with such Society, you have to ensure that the Society has the insurance to cover your group. You can find more information about insurance requirements on our Student Groups page.

Q. One of our group members will host a party at his house. We want to send out invitations by campus e-mail. Members are welcome to bring their own beer, beverages, etc. Is this okay?

A. If it is a club event, you have to obtain the approval from the Office of the Dean of Students through a BearsDen event application (e.g. special permit or liquor license permit) and participants are required to sign a waiver. If it is a private function, you cannot use your group's name or utilize the University's computer system. The host will be solely responsible for any outcome arising from the event.

Q. Our group's laptop is stored in a storage room on campus and it was stolen. Will the University pay for it?

A. No. The University of Alberta is NOT responsible for any loss or damage to property owned by the student group or group members.

Q. We realize that the University of Alberta will not cover events deemed to be "high risk". What are these events?

A. High risk events can be any of the following:

  • major functions with over 150 people and where alcohol is served, e.g. Beer Gardens
  • any alcohol function which takes place on or off-campus, e.g. pub crawls
  • any sport or outdoor recreational activities which are not registered with Campus Recreation
  • unusual or extraordinary activities such as ski trips, large scale public events, travel outside the Edmonton area, etc.

Remember, if it is a club event, you have to obtain the approval from the Office of the Dean of Students through a BearsDen event application. You can find more information about insurance requirements on our Student Groups page.

Q. What do we need to do if we want to hold events/activities which have been classified as "high risk"?

A. Complete a BearsDen event application and purchase a separate insurance policy through an outside insurance broker. Contact the Student Event Risk Management Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Students for additional assistance.

Q. How many people do we need to work as security for events?

A. It depends on the magnitude of the event. One security person for every fifty people is a guideline. Security would be separate from the door/sales people and server/bar people.