Customs Services

Customs Services provides knowledge and guidance to the University of Alberta in all areas of cross–border transactions including:

  • importing goods
  • exporting goods
  • obtaining import and export permits
  • travelling with university owned equipment

With knowledge of Canadian customs requirements and how they apply to the UofA’s education and research activities, we provide information and support to the University campus to ensure the most expedient handling of goods to and from Canada, while remaining compliant with applicable Canadian legislation.

Employees/business units who anticipate bringing goods to Canada, shipping goods or travelling with goods outside of Canada should contact Customs Services as early as possible in the planning stages.

Normally, 3-6 weeks are required to arrange for permits and documentation, depending on the nature of the goods and complexity of the transaction.

For further information, click on one of the following links:    

  1. Importing Goods into Canada           
  2. Exporting Goods from Canada
  3. Customs Permit/License for Restricted and Controlled Goods
  4. No Charge Transactions/Renting or Leasing Goods
  5. Perishable Shipments
  6. Personal Shipments
  7. Ethyl Alcohol Purchases
  8. Frequently Asked Questions

Customs Services offers Customs Bulletins with news about importing and exporting regulations and issues affecting the University: Subscribe to the Customs Mailing List.