Extended Travel

Extended travel is travel that exceeds 30 days

Extended travel occurs in the following circumstances:

  1. Employee and/or student combines multiple trips concurrently (foreign or domestic)
  2. Employee undertakes a long-term visit (collaboration) at a hosting institution or worksite (foreign or domestic) 
  3. Employees and/or students are required by the department to reside temporarily in a remote location (e.g. field research)
  4. Employee and/or student conducts research activities at remote location (foreign or domestic) 
  5. Job requirements require the employee to complete their business activities remotely (foreign or domestic) e.g. student recruitment activities overseas
  6. Employees are on sabbatical leave and away from their permanent residence (foreign or domestic)

Extended travel may require additional supporting documentation when submitting the expense claim to expedite reimbursement. It is recommended that this is included at the time of submission of the claim to reduce delays in processing, this can include the following:

  1. Written approval (email) from the sponsor of the fund (for internally funded projects), or
  2. Written approval (email) from the department Chair (for general research projects, multi-sponsored grants), or
  3. A copy of the grant that explicitly outlines the eligibility of these type of expenses (for external sponsored research grants), or
  4. Written approval (email) from the budget owner (for operating funds)

Note: If the claimant is the budget owner, written approval from the claimant’s one over one is required.

Remote location - 80 kilometres or more from the primary work location
Primary work location - the location that a University employee (NASA, AASUA, MAPS, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, excluded employees) reports to, to complete their regular ongoing employment requirements. The U of A identifies the primary work location for each employee.