University of Alberta faculties, departments, and administrative units must take the following steps to report loss or damage of any kind to enable our office to investigate the claim and start the insurance claim process, if applicable.

Property and Operational Liability Claims

  1. Report as required to Health, Safety & Environment
  2. Report all incidents involving physical violence, threats of violence, harassment, property damage, or theft to Protective Services
    • North Campus: 780-492-5050 or report in person at Education Car Park
    • Augustana Campus: 780-608-2905
  3. Submit your insurance claim by using our online forms:
    • Use the automobile claim form to submit a claim for damage to University of Alberta vehicles (collision, theft, fire, etc) and injury resulting from collisions.
    • Departments and faculties who have registered with Insurance & Risk Assessment may use the sport injury form to submit a claim for injuries resulting from sports accidents that occur during their sports programs (i.e. members of varsity teams, Faculty of Law teams, or Campus & Community Recreation program participants). Sport injury claims must be reported no later than 30 days after the date of the accident.
    • For all claims except those resulting from automobile collisions or sport accidents, use the property & injury claim form.
  4. When a mobile device containing University of Alberta information is stolen or lost it must also be reported immediately to:

Automobile Claims

Damage to owned vehicles, other vehicles, property and injury

When you are involved in a motor vehicle accident on University of Alberta business, you must report it and comply with the Traffic Safety Act as well as University of Alberta policies and procedures.

Reporting Requirements

The City of Edmonton police website identifies all the important details regarding collision reporting including how to report if the total damage is over or under $5,000 (university or other property). Their website also offers guidance in handling collisions from establishing if someone is hurt to exchanging information.

If you are involved in an accident in a motor vehicle accident on University of Alberta business, you must immediately:

  1. Report the collision through City of Edmonton Police or the jurisdiction you are in, if not Edmonton. A copy of the police report will be required when reporting the incident to the university.
  2. Contact your supervisor.
  3. Report to the University of Alberta Protective Services office.
  4. Complete an HRHSE ARISE incident report.
  5. Initiate an insurance claim online including but not limited to injury, property damage, theft or fire.

Your Legal Obligations

Failure to remain at the scene of an accident can have very serious implications, no matter what part of the world your accident occurs in. It is important that you are aware of your obligations in the jurisdiction that you are operating a vehicle. For accidents in Canada, you are subject to the Criminal Code of Canada, provincial traffic safety legislation and University of Alberta policies and procedures.

All insurance claims at the University of Alberta are overseen and facilitated by Risk Management and Insurance. Depending on the claim situation, your claim may be assigned to an adjuster who is an authorized representative of the university. You will be contacted within 48 hours of submitting your claim online.

Automobile Claims Sport Injury Claims All Other Claims