Dr Finegan is a professor of anesthesiology in the Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine at the University of Alberta. He graduated from the National University of Ireland at Dublin, obtained his Fellowship in Anesthesia from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, and subsequently, the Royal College of Physicians in Canada.
He is a cardiac anesthesiologist who for many years studied innate and drug-induced mechanisms of myocardial protection. In the last six years his has been leading out of hospital programs to reduce smoking rates in surgical patients, with the goal of promoting the long term reduction of cardiovascular risk.
- Investigator-Initiated Grant
- Hammal F, Finegan BA. Exploring Attitudes of Children 12-17 Years of Age Toward Electronic Cigarettes. J Community Health. 2016; 41(5): 962-968.
- Denaut, A.Y., Bussieres, J.S., Arlellano, R., Finegan BA., Gavra, P., Hadda, F., Nguyen, A.Q.N., Varin, F., Fortier, A., Levesque, S., Shi, Y., Elmi-Sarabi, M., Tardif, J.C., Perrault, L.P., Lambert, J. A multicenter randomized-controlled trial of inhaled milrinone in high-risk cardiac surgical patients. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 2016; 63(10): 1140-1153.
- Hammal F, Cameron Wild T, Finegan BA. Knowledge About the Waterpipe (Hookah), a Qualitative Assessment Among Community Workers in a Major Urban Center in Canada. J Community Health 40(6).
- Hammal F, Wild TC, Nykiforuk C, Abdullahi K, Mussie D, Finegan BA. Waterpipe (Hookah) Smoking Among Youth and Women in Canada in New, not Traditional. Nicotine Tob Res. 2015 Jul 17.
- Hammal, F., Chappell, A., Pohoreski, K., Finegan, BA. Expanding the reach of the Quitline by engaging volunteers to market it in hospitals and shopping venues – A pilot study. Tobacco Induced Diseases. 2015; 13(1): 13.
- Kim CS, Fazeli N, McMurty MS, Finegan BA, Hahn JO. Quantification of wave reflection using peripheral blood pressure waveforms. J Boimed Health inform. 2015 Jan;19(1):309-16.
- Abdollahzade M, Kim CS, Fazeli N, Finegan BA, Sean McMurty M, Hanh JO. Data-driven lossy tube-load modeling of arterial tree: in –human study. J Biomech Eng. 2014 Oct;136(10).
- Fazeli N, Kim CS, Rashedi M, Chappell A, Wang S, MacArthur R, McMurty MS, Finegan BA, Hahn JO. Subject-specific estimation of central aortic blood pressure vias system identification: preliminary in-human experimental study. Med Biol Eng Comput. Oct 2014;52 (10):895-904.
- Hammal F, Ezekowitz JA, Norris CM, Wild TC, Finegan BA, APPROACH Investigators. Smoking status and survival: impact on mortality of continuing to smoke one year after angiographic diagnosis of coronary artery disease, a prospective cohort study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. Oct 2014;14133.
- Majid Abdollahzade, Chang-Sei Kim, Nima Fazeli, Finegan BA, M. Sean McMurtry and Jin-oh Hahn. Data-Driven Lossy Tube-Load Modeling of Arterial Tree: In-Human Study. J Biomech Eng 136(10), 101011 (Aug 12, 2014).
- Schulze CJ, Castro MM, Kandasamy AD, Cena J, Bryden C, Wang SH, Koshal A, Tsuyuki RT, Finegan BA, Shulz R. Doxycycline reduces cardiac matrix metalloproteinase-2 activity but does not ameliorate myocardial dysfunction during reperfusion in coronary artery bypass patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass. Crit Care Med 2013 Nov; 41(11):2512-20.
- Hammal F, Chappell A, Wild TC, Kindzierski W, Shihadeh A, Vanderhoek A, Huynh CK, Plateel G, Finegan BA. ‘Herbal’ but potentially hazardous: an analysis of the constituents and smoke emissions of tobacco-free waterpipe products and the air quality in the cafes where they are served. Tob Control 2013 Oct 15.
- Vanderhoek AJ, Hammal F, Chappell A, Wild TC, Raupach T, Finegan BA. Future physicians and tobacco: An online survey of the habits, beliefs and knowledge base of medical students at a Canadian university. Tob Induc Dis 2013 Apr 4;11(1):9.
- Rashedi M, Fazeli N, Chappell A, Wang S, MacArthur R, Sean McMurty M, Finegan BA and Hahn JO. Comparative Study on Tube-Load Modeling of Arterial Hemodynamics in Humans. J Biomech Eng 2013 Mar 1;135(3):31005.
- Lucchinetti, E, Bestmann, L, Feng, J, Freidank, H, Clanachan, AS, Finegan, BA Zaugg, M.Remote Ischemic Preconditioning Applied during Isoflurane Inhalation Provides No Benefit to the Myocardium of Patients Undergoing On-pump Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery: Lack of Synergy or Evidence of Antagonism in Cardioprotection? Anesthesiology 2012;116:296-310.
- Sachs, R, Wild, T.C, Thomas, L, Hammal, F, Finegan, BA. Preadmission Clinic based Smoking Cessation Interventions: Assessing two approaches. Can J Anaesth 2012: 59:662-669.
- Shopik NA, Schultz AS, Nykiforuk CI, Finegan BA, Kvern MA. Impact of smoke-free hospital grounds policies: patient experiences and perceptions. Health Policy 2012 Nov; 108(1):93-9.
- Huang Z, Zhong, X, Irwin M., Ji S,1, Wong G, Liu Y, Xia Z, Finegan BA, Xia Z. Synergy of isoflurane preconditioning and propofol postconditioning reduces myocardial reperfusion injury in patients. Clin Sci (Lond) Jan 2011.
- Schultz AS, Finegan B, Nykiforuk CI, Kvern MA. A qualitative investigation of smoke-free policies on hospital property. CMAJ 2011;183:E1334-44 (accompanied by an editorial).
- Finegan BA and Finegan G. From Discarded Leaf to Global Scourge – The Extraordinary History of the Ascent of Tobacco and its Many Modes of Consumption. In: Cigarette Smoke Toxicity: Linking Individual Chemicals to Human Diseases: 2011, 1- 15. John Wiley & Sons.
- Cave DA, Finegan BA. Complications of intravenous regional anesthesia. In Finucane BT; Complications of Regional Anesthesia - Second Edition. 2007, 211-223. New York: Springer.
- Cave DA, Finegan BA. Complications of intravenous regional anesthesia. Complications of Regional Anesthesia. 1999, 213-210. New York: Churchill Livingstone.