- BSc (Hons) in Physiology and Biochemistry, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- PhD in Cell Physiology, Wellington School of Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Overseas Research Fellow, Wellcome Trust/Health Research Council of New Zealand, University College London, UK (1992-1997)
- Parker B. Francis Fellow in Pulmonary Research, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (1998-2001)
- CIHR New Investigator Award, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2001-2006)
- AHFMR Visiting Scientist Award, Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB), University of Queenland, Brisbane, Australia (2009-2010)
- Professor, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2000-present)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2011-present)
- Director, Pulmonary Research Group, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2013-2017)
- Alberta Respiratory Centre Research Director, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB (2017-present)
I am the course coordinator for Inflammation MMI 436/MED 536, a combined 4th-year and graduate-level course directed towards trainees interested in the underlying mechanisms of inflammatory diseases, that is offered in the Fall semester of each year. I have been a facilitator for Discovery Learning sessions for over 10 years for 1st and 2nd year medical students enrolled at the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry. Along with these I have been a supervisor for numerous laboratory-based courses to train undergraduates in benchtop experimental work. I am currently mentoring graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. I am available to mentor additional students and am accepting applications from appropriate individuals that have Canadian permanent residency or citizenship.
Protein trafficking in immune cells
One of my areas of research interest is focused on molecular and cellular mechanisms that regulate inflammatory responses in allergy, asthma, and lung diseases. Together with my trainees and collaborators, we have helped to advance our understanding of how inflammatory mediators are released by immune cells including eosinophils, neutrophils, macrophages, and mast cells. I have a specific interest in understanding mechanisms of cytokine and chemokine secretion from innate immune cells. This study is supported by a Discovery Grant from NSERC.
Exposure to hazardous respirable materials in the workplace
In collaboration with Dr. Lyle Melenka, Synergy Cardiac & Respiratory Care and Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of Alberta, we are determining the risks of exposure of insulators to potentially hazardous respirable materials such as silica, asbestos, and other substances in the work environment. Our analysis will reveal if there is an increased risk of occupational asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and lung cancer in these individuals. This study is supported by Lyle Melenka Professional Corporation.
Autoimmunity in severe asthma
I collaborate with Dr. Parameswaran Nair, McMaster University, and his postdoctoral fellow Dr. Manali Mukherjee, to understand autoimmunity that is associated with severe asthma. Asthma patients were found to have high levels of autoantibodies against the patients' immune cells (eosinophils, neutrophils) which appear to contribute to disease pathology. This study is supported by a CIHR grant to Dr. Nair.
Acute lung injury, Air samples, Airway hyperresponsiveness, Airway inflammation, Allergy, Anti-inflammatory drugs, Asthma, Autoantibodies, Autoimmunity, Biomarkers, Bleomycin-induced lung injury, Cell lines, Cell secretion, Cytokines, Degranulation, Eosinophils, Health, Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, Infection, Leukocytes, Lung diseases, Lymphocytes, Lymphoid neogenesis, Metabolites, Metabolomics, Metal analysis, Nuclear magnetic resonance, Occupational hygiene, Occupational medicine, Respiration, Severe asthma, Signalling pathways, Sputum, Steroid insensitivity, Superresolution microscopy, Systematic reviews, Transgenic mouse models, Urinary metabolites, Vesicular trafficking
- Samineh Kamravaei
- Kawtar Idrissi Machichi