Infection-Associated Gastric Cancer: 

The role of Helicobacter pylori & Epstein-Barr virus

Tuesday, January 16, 2024, 12:00 - 12:50 pm via Zoom
with Sintayehu Fekadu Kebede, PhD, Hawassa University



The majority (>90%) of gastric cancers are caused by H. pylori and Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) accounts for the remaining 10%.  H. pylori is a group I bacterial carcinogen that is associated with gastrointestinal diseases, including gastric cancer. It is prevalent and acquired in early childhood, primarily through family close contact and poor sanitary conditions. Similarly, EBV is implicated in several malignant conditions, including gastric cancer. Epidemiological studies showed that H. pylori-EBV coinfection was associated with severe gastrointestinal diseases. This presentation will discuss the role of H. pylori treatment of gastric epithelial cells for subsequent EBV infection.


Sintayehu Fekadu is currently an academic member of the School of Medical Laboratory Sciences at Hawassa University. He received a BSc degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences from Jimma University in 2005. He joined Addis Ababa University and received an MSc degree in medical microbiology in 2011. In 2017 he received a scholarship from Japan to pursue a  PhD in microbiology at Shimane University. Sintayheu is actively involved both in teaching (graduate and undergraduate students) and research. His professional interests focus on investigating natural products and their antimicrobial and antioxidant effects, the role of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastrointestinal disease development and eradication rate. In addition, Sintayehu coordinates the molecular biology laboratory, edible mushroom cultivation, and spawn production center.