On June 29, 2015, Alberta Venture listed Lorne Tyrrell as one of Alberta's 50 most influential people. Tyrrell, a long-lasting member of the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, is a world-renown virologist for his contributions to the development of lamivudine, an oral drug that treats the Hepatitis B virus. This work resulted in a major collaboration with Glaxo Canada (now GlaxoSmithKline).
Tyrrell has played many important roles within the University of Alberta, first as a student, then as a professor, mentor, researcher, director, chair and dean. He was instrumental in securing funding for the Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology, where he is currently director.
In addition to his role within the university, he has also sat on many major health-care committees at the national and provincial level, participated in many editorial reviews, and has been involved with more than 10 biotechnology companies as a member of the boards of directors, scientific advisory boards or in leadership roles.
Learn more about Tyrrell's involvement at the University of Alberta below.
Strong faculty ties
Tyrrell's ties to the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry are long lasting. His roles include:
- BSc in chemistry, 1964
- MD, 1968
- Specialty training, internal medicine, 1974
- Subspecialty training, infectious diseases, 1978
- Director, Division of Infectious Diseases, 1984–1985
- Chair, Department of Medical Microbiology & Infectious Disease, 1986–1994
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, 1994–2004
- Director, Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology, 2010–present
Honours in medicine
Over the course of his career, Tyrrell has claimed many awards and accolades. Highlights include:
- University Cup, 1999
- Alberta Order of Excellence, 2000
- Order of Canada, Officer, 2002
- Frederic Newton Gisborne Award, CMA, 2004
- Distinguished University Professor, UAlberta, 2010
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame, induction, 2011
- Killam Award in Health Sciences, 2015
In the media
Learn more about Tyrrell's contributions to the University of Alberta and Alberta health care.